MK2CAV.COM
Sign in to follow this  
otipoiss

Estonian Ascona C Irmscher 88'

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:46, otipoiss said:

I have indeed. The doors were in when i marked sideskirt holes on the sills. 

Good work then, watching the progress on this takes me back to working on mine.

Working on the boot/rear apron. Since my tools are limited to hammers and dollys, and also some bits of wood,  the result is nothing near concours quality. But the grooves there are necessary, so they had to be done somehow. 

I have also ordered new front and rear aprons, hopefully they arrive next week. 

pagass1.jpg
pagass2.jpg
pagass3.jpg

Some sandblasted and painted bits. 

staff1.jpg
staff2.jpg

• Like 1

pagass4.jpg

pagass5.jpg

pagass6.jpg

Now whats left? Some holes here and there, the roof, and the front apron, but that can be welded on after I've finished the underside. Oh, forgot about few brackets and those welds that need over doing.  My idea is to apply all necessary coatings to the underside while the car is still on the rotisserie. Plus maybe to do the brake and fuel lines. 

Edited by otipoiss

16 hours ago, otipoiss said:

My idea is to apply all necessary coatings to the underside while the car is still on the rotisserie. Plus maybe to do the brake and fuel lines. 

I did this, except the fuel and brake lines (which is a job I haven't sorted yet).

I love your rotisserie setup....

• Thanks 1

kk1.jpg
kk2.jpg

Painted and covered with stone protection. Im going to add another layer of paint on top of it, that is when im done sanding the inside of the car, and painted that with primers. 

• Like 1

Looking good. You can never have enough protection on the underneath.

As the last task before it gets turned back get wax into all the cavities, drill holes into those that don't already have them with plastic plugs to seal them again.

If you are putting power steering in don't forget to reinforce that area :)

tuba1.jpg

tuba2.jpg

Took me 4 days  to get it all sanded and all the little rust spots removed. At least those i could see. Ive also brushed seam sealer all over the place, which made it look horrible now, but i think another layer of white will not harm anyone. :)

Question aswell. What colour should I paint the underside? I dont think white would be very practical, but if the underside would have been white from the factory then...

Another recommendation I got  was to do something with the sunroof drainage pipes at the front. From factory they just end at the inside of the sills. No go, I have sealed those completely, the water would have no escape from there. So maybe an attempt to shorten them, continue with softer and smaller diameter pipe/hose, and guide those to the wheel arch?

Edited by otipoiss
  • Like 1

tuba3.jpg
tuba4.jpg

Still not sure about the boot paint scheme.It seems some parts are white, some are dark grey.  Maybe someone has a picture of how it should be done? Im currently thinking of painting the boot and underside of the car at one go, with dark grey. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:54, otipoiss said:

I had an early SRi, in the boot including arches supports and rear panel were anthracite, same as the lower body, the 1/4 panels were same as body.

awesome project by the way.....

Still not sure about the boot paint scheme.It seems some parts are white, some are dark grey.  Maybe someone has a picture of how it should be done? Im currently thinking of painting the boot and underside of the car at one go, with dark grey.