VBOA Billing 2016

GreyDJ2

Thanks for that Andy, and I fully agree. I have recently started a new job working nights so weekend do get impacted a fair bit, but the positive to that it that i earn a bit more money, get these holiday things that people talk of, and actually get some time off in the week, although i currently still do my existing job on my rest days. I agree with your sentiments on Facebook, and it does attract a large number of non genuine enthusiasts, probably cos its free unlike the forum. I have been on the FB side a couple of times, but i have left it again, in preference to the club forum. One sage bit of advice Frisco gave me a long time back, if its pissing you off, walk away and take some time out! And thats exactly what i do.

hi...i'm not a paid up member, simply because i change my cars on a whim, i could be driving an astra next week. But i agree with the 'facebook is killing forums' sentiment.  I belong to many car forums on the web, they go through phases of high usage and low usage. This one seems to go slow quite a bit, or it's the same core members chatting, it's the same with the VODC, of which i am a fully paid up member, although sometimes i ask myself why as the content seems to be mainly questions about dash lights on an insignia, but i have a few good friends on there. Anyway ...billing, I came to look at your stand, some fantastic cars on there, but seemingly very spaced out , there was a large area bereft of cars, but no actual focal point for anyone to come and chat, like a trestle set up with banners and a couple of members in attendance handing out flyers and such like. The viva club does this, and so does the cav and chevette group. It promotes the club well, I did see your bbq which is impressive, but the people didn't seem approachable to chat to, seemed like a private party. So we walked on by...

Hey it's not criticism really, I belong to the VODC, who did have a marquee, and a desk.... but was so totally closed off to the public that it looked like a private tent! And, even though i'm a paid up member, no one came to speak to me to welcome me to the stand or to show me where to place my cav. I ended up catching the eye of my mate in the club who told me to stick it anywhere as thats what he did as there was no organisation. I am a bit of a 'pariah' within my club as i do get outspoken about things i feel passionate about, but the only other member of my club who spoke to me all day was the one i have/had(?) an active disagreement with, he actually came and sat and chatted with us... which was strange but nice. I didn't even get asked to take my cav round the show circle, and i consider my cav to be a pretty nice example. 

Anyway, i've gone 'off point', billing was ok this year, but not as great as it could have been, theres a rumour about peterborough show ground for next year, which is a great place and so easily accessible, i would recommend that.

Facebook should have an  'introduction to the club page' i guess, but anything posted should be to direct to the club site, as the content on there sometimes is a bit erm 'colourful' and some should be taken with a pinch of salt. The VODC has a club page on FBK (actually two, i dont think they can work out which one is the official one) but it has very little content most ofthe time, it just directs to the forum, which i think is how it should be. Facebook is killing the internet, it is a behemoth that should be put down....

anyway, thats my 2p worth :)

• Like 1

On 02/04/2016, 16:43:19, GreyDJ2 said:

I agree with what your saying buddy but also your point is from the outside, we at mk2cav.com have become lazy when it comes to billing, this is because many years ago it was too regimented and nobody enjoyed it, nowaday's we use it as a annual meeting where we meet and chat and have a jolly time, now you mention nobody on our stand, well you must of came when most were somewhere else (pub)because whenever I was sitting in our marque and looking around i saw club members talking to people by cavs all the time. I totally agree about the section behind the cav bar, they like to be in there own little village but are totally friendly and approachable 

Im a FB member and always encouraging people to join us at billing(mostly because im sick of our exsisting members bullshit) as its nice to meet new members :D, I have said this whilst at billing, I dont understand why some FB members wont join us at billing but are happy to be with a club who dont have any other cavs on there stand ?

I agree about the bunting, it make's you feel your not aloud in and you just walk by, we have tried many differant ways in setting up our stand but whenever we do have someone who organise's where cars go and tents , then arguements start and nobody listens.

This year was my 10th and some years not even with a cavalier but I always enjoy it, we even have done a couple of euro trips too, we are a friendly bunch and some totally bonkers but remember it take's 2 and even we were new members once.

• Like 1

So before we start on about what was wrong with billing did anyone who attended with us not enjoy themselves?

We had a good time, anyone I spoke to had a good time and 25 cars is about average for us (remembering that we are a one model club)

We do need a bit more organisation for next year but overall once we have a decent number attending (which I think we did) and they have a good time I think the show is a success.

To me Billing is a chance for members new and old to meet and have a good laugh, talk shite about cavs and have a look at what others have done. It's not a recruitment drive so I don't want a table with banners and people handing out fliers nor do I want a little gatehouse gazebo for when people arrive like the manta club had.

What would Gordon do?

ok yeah i see your point(s) :) like i said I am a bit of a 'pariah' at my own club, I stay with them because,again like i said, I change my cars often, and joining a different club every time i change my car gets expensive. I did see people at their cars, but i didn't approach to chat simply because i didn't want to butt in :) 

billing overall was good, I enjoyed it . . . but i don't agree with what frisco said about it not being a recruitment drive, isn't that the point of shows? To show off the cars yes, but also to attract new members? I remember being at billing with the viva club in the late 90's, we used to go around the field and the car park viva spotting and sticking flyers on any viva that wasn't on our stand, one year we got an extra 5 to bring their cars to our stand.  Although what you said about what  the manta club had going on seems a bit over the top, but they are a strange bunch after all ;) 

Anyway billing was good, i kinda hope its there again next year as it is tradition....but Pbo has a good showground and is soooo easy to get to 

anyway(again) i hope i haven't trodden on any toes ( as usual) 

;)

Other clubs may use it as a recruitment drive and go round handing out fliers, have a manned info desk, have a gatehouse but we are not them.

What we do best is have a good laugh with anyone who wants to join us and tbh thats why people keep coming. People turn up with a cav, without a cav, with other vauxhalls on other stands then spend the weekend having a laugh with us because of the community we have. 

You have to get at least somewhat involved to see any of that but once you do you'll realise what I'm talking about. 

What would Gordon do?

• CLUB MEMBER

I've done billing 4 times now 3 in a cav and one in a vectra but still attended with this club and I've thoroughly enjoyed it each time this year unfortunately I couldn't stay the full weekend but still had a good time and still managed to change the front calipers discs and pads while there with massive thanks to other club members who did it all for me 

This club has great members always willing to help its a shame that Facebook is having such an affect on the forums for me personally I haven't been as active due to not owning a mk2 cav now I haveone again I shall try to as much as possible unfortunately I have a very busy life with work and kids etc.... 

JimmysSig.png

On 24/07/2016, 07:49:07, L13 said:

hi...i'm not a paid up member, simply because i change my cars on a whim, i could be driving an astra next week. But i agree with the 'facebook is killing forums' sentiment.  I belong to many car forums on the web, they go through phases of high usage and low usage. This one seems to go slow quite a bit, or it's the same core members chatting, it's the same with the VODC, of which i am a fully paid up member, although sometimes i ask myself why as the content seems to be mainly questions about dash lights on an insignia, but i have a few good friends on there. Anyway ...billing, I came to look at your stand, some fantastic cars on there, but seemingly very spaced out , there was a large area bereft of cars, but no actual focal point for anyone to come and chat, like a trestle set up with banners and a couple of members in attendance handing out flyers and such like. The viva club does this, and so does the cav and chevette group. It promotes the club well, I did see your bbq which is impressive, but the people didn't seem approachable to chat to, seemed like a private party. So we walked on by...

Hey it's not criticism really, I belong to the VODC, who did have a marquee, and a desk.... but was so totally closed off to the public that it looked like a private tent! And, even though i'm a paid up member, no one came to speak to me to welcome me to the stand or to show me where to place my cav. I ended up catching the eye of my mate in the club who told me to stick it anywhere as thats what he did as there was no organisation. I am a bit of a 'pariah' within my club as i do get outspoken about things i feel passionate about, but the only other member of my club who spoke to me all day was the one i have/had(?) an active disagreement with, he actually came and sat and chatted with us... which was strange but nice. I didn't even get asked to take my cav round the show circle, and i consider my cav to be a pretty nice example. 

Anyway, i've gone 'off point', billing was ok this year, but not as great as it could have been, theres a rumour about peterborough show ground for next year, which is a great place and so easily accessible, i would recommend that.

Facebook should have an  'introduction to the club page' i guess, but anything posted should be to direct to the club site, as the content on there sometimes is a bit erm 'colourful' and some should be taken with a pinch of salt. The VODC has a club page on FBK (actually two, i dont think they can work out which one is the official one) but it has very little content most ofthe time, it just directs to the forum, which i think is how it should be. Facebook is killing the internet, it is a behemoth that should be put down....

anyway, thats my 2p worth :)

sorry if we didnt seem approachable must have been earlier saturday morning hung over :):) we tend to be camped like this as we are all from the one corner of essex and all travel up together and are friends outside of the club trust we are friendly and approachable and if you see us next year come over say hi and we'll pour you a pint or 2 from the bbq

Edited by newbody
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2016, 7:57:03, newbody said:

sorry if we didnt seem approachable must have been earlier saturday morning hung over :):) we tend to be camped like this as we are all from the one corner of essex and all travel up together and are friends outside of the club trust we are friendly and approachable and if you see us next year come over say hi and we'll pour you a pint or 2 from the bbq

If i still have a cav by then i definately will :)

• SITE MODERATOR

Glad you all had fun.....I'm back from my hols, still gutted the dates changed.

For me, FB is a tool to just keep in touch.  I do not use it, although I might if they actually put the dislike button in.  To many people are obsessed with it unfortunately and its breeding a people who crave likes and must tell the world what they are doing every minute of the day.....look at me and my latest dump.......please.  If used correctly is probably good to see what your old school mates are up to and rekindle old friendships (until the 1 up man ship starts), not for me (until my kids start I guess and need to try to police it a bit).

Might be worth locking this thread soon mods ;¬)

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• SITE MODERATOR
On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2016‎ ‎15‎:‎12‎:‎50, GreyDJ2 said:

We are too laid back and its a bit soon to do that.

:D

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

Here are a couple of photos that I took, my Mrs is more into photo's than me so I will get hers her after she gets home from work later on :):):):)

%7Boption%7D

Mk2Cav Stand at Gt Billing

Mk2Cav stand at Gt Billing

Ready for my first show.

This was just after I gave it a quick wash and polish on Saturday morning. 

I will do a more detailed reply later on as I have a couple of thought :-)

Edited by Steven715
Added some more of my pictures.

This was my very first time visiting Gt Billing and on first impressions I thought the whole ground was extremity well set out there was some bits we missed though (towards the exit) because it looked like it was just camping grounds Doh!

However I really was expecting better from the Auto jumble this for me was very disappointing! not if you have a Nova though! :P the guy selling most of his stuff for a quid just about made up for it but still disappointing, I know this is no ones fault except for VBOA wanting a high liability insurance cover.

I  wished I had met more of you but me being a bit of a shy guy I did not want to intrude on what looked like a private area (Totally my fault and I regret it and take full responsibility) The chaps that I did meet I really enjoyed your company and chatting with you, I would have stayed longer at Billing but the Mrs was getting board :-( at least now I know how it works and to grow a pair and come and say hello to you all as on here you all sound like wonderful people and I would love to talk about Cavs with you all. I am pleased that I met with Andy when I first pulled up as I would have felt a bit funny parking in an area with out at least asking first and letting someone know who I was but again this is just me!

After reading the earlier posts on here I now know to bring some BBQ stuff with me and burn some burgers etc. :-) I promise you all that I will come and say hello next year and I will bring a chair with me next time!

On coming weeks towards VBOA I was nervous about bringing my Cav as I know its not perfect but again after seeing Andy giving his Cav a wash I was pleasantly surprised and realised that is what these shows is all about not to show how good your car looks but getting stuff done whilst your there and getting some club members to help out with there expertise. 

I found the marque on the Manta club a bit over the top in a way i felt like we may have to pay just to look around them lol. I think for us a simple banner over where the bbq is set saying along the lines "MK2Cav.com come and say hello" 

Bottom line is I enjoyed it and to some extent and my amazement the Mrs enjoyed herself to I would have loved it even more if I kicked myself up the arse and came and say hello. You all have some very good looking cars indeed they all have there own personality's.

As for Facebook I can't really comment as I don't do Facebook Flicker for me is a stretch lol I have used forums for as long I have been on the internet my biggest problem is as you can already tell I am no story teller. But I love to read the information, storys and problems on here and I do try and help out to the best of my ability to give back to the comunity when they helped me.

• Like 1

don't worry about being shy stephen we were all newbies too at some time as for the autojumble vboa were not responsable for its reduced size it was billing that insisted the all the stall holders had to be vat regestered and licenced which killed off all the little traders who used to sell off their parts at pocket money prices i truely hope this problem is resolved by next year as part of the fun of billing was scratching around piles of parts hopping to find bits and pieces which would not cost the earth there was talk of having the vboa meet at another location but than has not been confirmed yet

Drives probably the only other ascona sr/e on the road in the UK

• SITE MODERATOR

Glad you enjoyed it.  We are all a little odd for "liking," the mk2 cav ;) so you could have just popped over for some like minded lunacy......next time....and maybe I'll be there as well.....John, when will we have "fixed," dates for next year ;)

6 hours ago, kensascona said:

don't worry about being shy stephen we were all newbies too at some time as for the autojumble vboa were not responsable for its reduced size it was billing that insisted the all the stall holders had to be vat regestered and licenced which killed off all the little traders who used to sell off their parts at pocket money prices i truely hope this problem is resolved by next year as part of the fun of billing was scratching around piles of parts hopping to find bits and pieces which would not cost the earth there was talk of having the vboa meet at another location but than has not been confirmed yet

Yes it hard being the new boy :). I take that bit back it being VBOAs fault (sorry my bad) It really is a shame that Billing has made this decision. I was looking forward to to scratching around for parts and I was able to get a couple of little bits to keep me happy.

It will be interesting if the VBOA decides to move but like I said Billing seemed very well laid out and the access was really easy we will have to wait and see what happens. 

6 hours ago, Greg said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  We are all a little odd for "liking," the mk2 cav ;) so you could have just popped over for some like minded lunacy......next time....and maybe I'll be there as well.....John, when will we have "fixed," dates for next year ;)

I liked that I am after all an odd ball My Mrs says that i'm old before my time so based on that I think i'm in. 

I to hope you can make it to Greg It will be nice to meet you all.

• SITE MODERATOR

There are certainly some characters in the club :D