VBOA 2017 chat/photos/memories/suggestions thread
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Please use this thread for general discussion and memories/pictures of the event.

Edited by GreyDJ2

Right, some background for you all.

We had a VBOA Rep meeting today in Luton at which it was revealed that none of the sites that were being looked at were a starter for 2017. In particular the financial risks were too high combined with a serious workload for the Committee.

We then had a presentation by LMF Vauxhall, who many of you will be aware of. They are based in Market Harborough where, as part of a huge housing deal on a disused grass airfield, developers have and are establishing a new 70 acre show ground which held its first event, a County show with 12,000 attendees, this summer just past.  So, LMF, wanting to both put something back into both the Vauxhall community and their own town, proposed that they take over the bulk of the effort and all the risk of putting on the VBOA event. Given that the location meets virtually all the VBOA's requirements you can imagine the response of us Reps. Immediate decision with 100% support.

If we get it right we could be there for a very long time. I suspect that next summer will be a bit hit and miss as both sides go up the learning curve and LMF finds out how much money it will have to put in and hopefully make to invest in the future. So far it looks very good.

They have agreed that certainly for next year the prices and ticket conditions will remain the same as 2016 Billing. Booking will be via the LMF website and phone lines which will now be upgraded and will probably go live around the 1st December. Expect a far better service than the inadequates at Billing.

The main differences to Billing at the moment look to be that the toilet/shower infrastructure will be hired in, not permanent; access to the site will be more limited in terms of the times the gates are open, arrivals discouraged after 21.00; a noise clampdown at 23.00. The latter two I suspect are part of the local authority conditions on the site.

The site is camping and dog friendly, level, not on a flood plain and fully fenced. As with Billing there are many local hotels and facilities. If you want to get in the Travelodge or Premier Inn now might be a good time to book!

It is on the 8/9 July and you can stay overnight on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights. Not sure on Thursday.

See you there.

Thanks Ken, I knew I'd forgotten something.

Yes, as per old style Billing. I seem to remember 7.5 x 7.5 m for £45 but don't quote me on that!

Plus the existing food vans with a few extras. Plus a Saturday night entertainment marquee with a covers band playing. No booze other than what you bring yourselves.

Plus the existing food vans with a few extras. Plus a Saturday night entertainment marquee with a covers band playing. No booze other than what you bring yourselves.
Edited by GreyDJ2

I and a few other VBOA reps are off to see the new site next Sunday.

Anyone got any points they want checked out?

1 hour ago, Richie said:

So it seems you have to book your camping through the LMF site, have we been given numbers about how many cars we can have as a club ?

Correct, we book though LMF just as we booked through Billing.

The site is huge, we should be OK for 40 odd cars probably laid out much as before, Cavaliers out front, others and tents etc behind. Next VBOA meeting is 7th May.

Oh and sorry Greg, they don't regard rugby on TV as a priority.

Come on guys and gals get your names down,

I only have two more weeks before I submit estimated figures.

Posted (edited)

afraid no CavBar as no tow vehicle and running out of Cavs down to 2 now

Edited by GreyDJ2

All VBOA17 comments here now please.

Brilliant time as usual at this the first billing NOT billing

only made the friday night stay over till saturday this time but was a laugh as always Glad to catch up with people and be wiped out by a rope whilist riding a go-ped slightly drunk

1 person likes this

Genuinely gutted to have missed this, sorry folks.  Pictures and stories please.

1 person likes this

too be fair for a first attempt on a new site they pulled it off, the facilities could probably do with being a bit fancier next year but other than that the site is perfect.

Hopefully the stands will be a bit better spaced out next year but i liked the spot we got given with the hard standing road behind, if we can keep that but get more space (rumour is the stand next to us will be moved next year) so if we can have the space from the stand next to us as well then it would be ideal

1 person likes this

Even thou i failed to bring a mk2 it had a much more friendly feel than Billing, maybe not having as much space was a blessing in a way as we were spoilt in our old pitch at billing 

1 person likes this

I thought it was pretty good, although a little spaced out, but hard to visualise layout when doing planning for first show.

Fair play to people involved for planning and sorting out the new venue 

1 person likes this