VBOA 2017 chat/photos/memories/suggestions thread

GreyDJ2

• CLUB REP

Right, some background for you all.

We had a VBOA Rep meeting today in Luton at which it was revealed that none of the sites that were being looked at were a starter for 2017. In particular the financial risks were too high combined with a serious workload for the Committee.

We then had a presentation by LMF Vauxhall, who many of you will be aware of. They are based in Market Harborough where, as part of a huge housing deal on a disused grass airfield, developers have and are establishing a new 70 acre show ground which held its first event, a County show with 12,000 attendees, this summer just past.  So, LMF, wanting to both put something back into both the Vauxhall community and their own town, proposed that they take over the bulk of the effort and all the risk of putting on the VBOA event. Given that the location meets virtually all the VBOA's requirements you can imagine the response of us Reps. Immediate decision with 100% support.

If we get it right we could be there for a very long time. I suspect that next summer will be a bit hit and miss as both sides go up the learning curve and LMF finds out how much money it will have to put in and hopefully make to invest in the future. So far it looks very good.

They have agreed that certainly for next year the prices and ticket conditions will remain the same as 2016 Billing. Booking will be via the LMF website and phone lines which will now be upgraded and will probably go live around the 1st December. Expect a far better service than the inadequates at Billing.

The main differences to Billing at the moment look to be that the toilet/shower infrastructure will be hired in, not permanent; access to the site will be more limited in terms of the times the gates are open, arrivals discouraged after 21.00; a noise clampdown at 23.00. The latter two I suspect are part of the local authority conditions on the site.

The site is camping and dog friendly, level, not on a flood plain and fully fenced. As with Billing there are many local hotels and facilities. If you want to get in the Travelodge or Premier Inn now might be a good time to book!

It is on the 8/9 July and you can stay overnight on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights. Not sure on Thursday.

See you there.

• CLUB REP

Thanks Ken, I knew I'd forgotten something.

Yes, as per old style Billing. I seem to remember 7.5 x 7.5 m for £45 but don't quote me on that!

Plus the existing food vans with a few extras. Plus a Saturday night entertainment marquee with a covers band playing. No booze other than what you bring yourselves.

Plus the existing food vans with a few extras. Plus a Saturday night entertainment marquee with a covers band playing. No booze other than what you bring yourselves.
Edited by GreyDJ2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • CLUB REP
1 hour ago, Richie said:

So it seems you have to book your camping through the LMF site, have we been given numbers about how many cars we can have as a club ?

Correct, we book though LMF just as we booked through Billing.

The site is huge, we should be OK for 40 odd cars probably laid out much as before, Cavaliers out front, others and tents etc behind. Next VBOA meeting is 7th May.

Oh and sorry Greg, they don't regard rugby on TV as a priority.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • SITE MODERATOR

Genuinely gutted to have missed this, sorry folks.  Pictures and stories please.

• Like 1

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

too be fair for a first attempt on a new site they pulled it off, the facilities could probably do with being a bit fancier next year but other than that the site is perfect.

Hopefully the stands will be a bit better spaced out next year but i liked the spot we got given with the hard standing road behind, if we can keep that but get more space (rumour is the stand next to us will be moved next year) so if we can have the space from the stand next to us as well then it would be ideal

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • CLUB REP

Hi all. We had the meeting in Luton in Luton this morning and thanks to those of you who gave feedback.

We are at Market Harborough again next year, the vote was unanimous, probably the 14/15 July weekend. That will be confirmed over the next few days. A new show organising joint VBOA/LMF sub committee has been formed to spread the load of implementing the improvements, including stand sizes and location, based on this year's experiences. They will report back at the November VBOA meeting.

LMF and VBOA have clearly taken on board many positive suggestions and LMF along with the landowner and MH District Council will be working to put in some permanent toilets/showers up near the entrance. hopefully in time for next year. A temporary toilet management team, better rubbish system (LMF said that they had seriously underestimated the amount  and more security  will also be in place. There will also be a wet weather plan rather than a 'seat of the pants' operation.

The 'entertainment' tent will, as an experiment for one year, be licensed from Friday lunchtime to Sunday morning and until midnight on Saturday, the range and times of food will also be increased. This is due partly to cater for overseas visitors, who may not have stocked up on their way, as well as those who found carrying booze from the far corners of the site up to the tent a bit of an effort!

The' road' system is to be modified, basically widened, more clearly marked and probably one-way. Also possibly a co-ordinated bus service into town.

In other business this year's spares day was cancelled, subject to Vauxhall permission there is a plan to run one next year in conjunction with a day at the Heritage Museum in Luton.

Next update in November.

• SITE MODERATOR

I need to go next year......with or without a mk2....John, when you know a date let us know please so I can get it in the diary early.

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• SITE MODERATOR
23 hours ago, Paul said:

without a mk2? if the white one isnt there next year then hang your head in shame

Can I hang my head now, to get it over with?

• SITE MODERATOR
16 hours ago, GreyDJ2 said:

Will do Greg.

Thanks

• SITE MODERATOR

Yours doesn't look far from an MOT....lets see how Sunday goes on the engine / gear box install before I get my hopes up.