SteveL's 1988 1.8 GLi
1 1

62 posts in this topic

Thanks to a gratefully received gift from the bloke who sold me my mk1, I am now the proud owner of a Cavalier mk2 to go with it. :)
Pictured here on inspection at the weekend.

20161211_122805_zps9ry9uc8j.jpg

20161211_122753_zpsscn9f7v9.jpg

Comedy repair work to both rear arches, sills and rear valance 

20161211_122745_zps1sznilma.jpg

I duly accepted the challenge, and returned the next day to collect it before he changed his mind. 

My mate Big Steve did the honours driving it back in the pissing rain, and soon enough it was drying off in my unit.

20161212_184031_zpshwqp5wwr.jpg

20161212_184053_zpsktmv1ijt.jpg

I want to do up one of my Lambrettas first, but it'll give me some time to find some repair panels before I get stuck in. :)

Edited by SteveL

Had a good look underneath earlier, and it's good news! The spring cups on the rear chassis legs have been replaced, and a small patch has been put in the back of the inner sill on both sides. Nothing else requiring attention has been spotted, but the welding looks like it was done with a stick. It's all hammer proof, but I'll most likely tidy up the welds so that they won't be obvious. The rest of the underside appears to be in really good nick - just a few bits of light surface rust. :)

The wobbed up rear valance 

20161216_155739_zpsoqkcbawr.jpg

Offside rear corner - arch repair section plonked over the top and wobbed up.

20161216_155750_zpsfhvn0djb.jpg

Nearside rear corner - similar 'repairs" to the offside - but with even more wob.

20161216_155803_zps0unkk3pb.jpg

The rear half of both outer sills done in the same style as the arches - repair panel tacked over the original one, followed by lashings of wob.

20161216_160618_zpstuv4wium.jpg

The interior is in fine fettle, sadly the camera flash makes the velour of the seats and door cards look a washed out grey - they're blue in real life!

20161216_160051_zpsvlbwp6e8.jpg

Seats are tidy

20161216_160434_zpsy9n2s3hy.jpg

20161216_160215_zps5amldsgm.jpg

Sunroof works well, and doesn't appear to leak

20161216_160501_zpsuwrpi0kp.jpg

Behold! The mighty donk - its very quiet, doesn't smoke, and apart from a bit of a stutter at about 2000rpm under load, it pulls well.

20161214_165626_zpsbz7st5u7.jpg

The clocks show 36k miles, and the lack of wear in the interior means it could well be right. Certainly can't complain about its condition for the price (not) paid. :)

Nice  one! One flatting disc and a skim of filler and you;d never tell! 

Great it's had the welding done underneath given the late ones go even faster than the early ones. What are your plans for it in the medium term?

On 12/17/2016 at 22:46, Matt O-SRi said:

Very nice project mate. Keep us posted. 

Cheers! Will do!

17 hours ago, retrotony87 said:

looks good, just need a mk3 to finish off the collection.?

It's not bad as these things go! Sadly, unless I get a bigger unit, I don't have any space left for a mk3. :( There's 5 cars and 5 scooters on the fleet these days - I think my limit has been reached!

8 hours ago, andy said:

Nice  one! One flatting disc and a skim of filler and you;d never tell! 

Great it's had the welding done underneath given the late ones go even faster than the early ones. What are your plans for it in the medium term?

Probably get a bit of use out of it whilst restoring the Lambretta,  then get stuck in. I have difficulty working on more than one project at a time!

Love it....looks like the one I "had," to buy (local and a good price) and not had a chance to look at.

Keep us posted on the updates

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 12:03, Greg said:

Love it....looks like the one I "had," to buy (local and a good price) and not had a chance to look at.

Keep us posted on the updates

What wheels should this have? Obviously the cheapo wheel trims on there at the moment were a giffer addition - should it have specific wheel trims or alloys like on yours?

Came as standard with steels and trims. Am in Norway atm so cant check what the wheel trims or alloy options were.

Are you planning to keep it/get it back to factory spec or are you going to make it more 'usable'?

Looks like it has a fairly new downpipe.

I plan on restoring it to factory spec, but may move it on when finished. (not gonna decide until its all done) I'd be most grateful to find out what type of trims it should have.

The front and rear sections of the exhaust are very recent, it was also treated to a new radiator very recently too. :)

Edited by SteveL

The headlights staying on issue that became apparent when I got the car back to my unit was resolved today. Unplugging the dim/dip resistor pack made the problem disappear, if I can find a new one, I'll fit it. If I can't, it shouldn't be a problem. 

The non-functional time clock has been replaced with one from eBay today too. The only other thing on the car that doesn't work now is the main central part of the interior light. I've not looked at it yet, but I'm sure it'll just be the bulb or an earth connection.

Before I buggered off home, I adjusted the clutch cable. When I got the car, the biting point was just off the floor. It's now in the middle of the pedal's travel, and is a lot nicer to drive as a result. :)

I found this warranty card in the wallet containing the car's user manuals. I knew that the registration mark was issued in Luton, but this warranty card suggests that the factory was also the supplying dealer? Are all the warranty cards stamped this way, or was this car supplied direct from the factory?

8b4a337e-b381-4fbd-b88c-51264742f924_zps

In other news, the little circuit board in the interior light would appear to be goosed! If anyone has a working spare they can sell me, I'd be made up!.

I don't know if there are different types of interior light, or if they are all the same. This is my non-functioning one.

20170102_190744_zps5zwoueko.jpg

Cheers, Steve

Good to see some action.  No idea on wheels for what was standard and not.  I am more of a LX nut case.  I bought the GLi on a whim.

The interior lights might be available from Vauxhall as they are similar to the mk3 cav ones.  Possible the Vectra as well...

5 hours ago, Greg said:

Good to see some action.  No idea on wheels for what was standard and not.  I am more of a LX nut case.  I bought the GLi on a whim.

The interior lights might be available from Vauxhall as they are similar to the mk3 cav ones.  Possible the Vectra as well...

I have at least one in a big box of wires that I'll never use. No idea if they work or not tho as only have early cavs though let me know if you get stuck!

I went to start her up at the weekend, and failed! It just cranked over and over without firing. I pulled off the king lead, and the coil end was full of water and green corrosion slop - three of the four plug leads were in the same state at their distributor terminals. This wasn't helping for sure! The rotor arm and dizzy cap looked fine, so the leads were cleaned up and re fitted, and we now had sparks, but it still wouldn't fire up. The plugs were very wet with fuel, pointing to flooded combustion chambers from all the sparkless cranking, so the injectors were unplugged, and it was cranked again. It fired up and ran for a few seconds, then conked out when the excess fuel was gone - after plugging the injectors back in, and cranking again, normal service was resumed. :) I reckon I'll be buying some new leads at some point!

I was given another interior light to try, but it appears to have suffered the same kind of heat damage to the circuit board that the original has. In other news, my under bonnet light now works!

20170111_170441_zpsqmfk9cql.jpg

:D

On 03/01/2017 at 17:43, andy said:

I have at least one in a big box of wires that I'll never use. No idea if they work or not tho as only have early cavs though let me know if you get stuck!

Many thanks for the kind offer - I may well be getting in touch!

The joys of mk2 ownership ;)

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:16, Greg said:

The joys of mk2 ownership ;)

Indeed! Are the leads I need the same for all Mk2s or are the ones for injected cars different? Only asking because the ones I've seen on eBay don't seem to mention what engine they're for.

All the lead sets for the Mk2 Cavalier SE/SEH/NE engines like yours are the same. They are the ones with the right angle connector into the distributor and metal sleeves on the 3 longest. The 1.8E has a straight connector into the distributor.

Bear in mind that many Mk3 Cavalier HT leads, although they look the same, have different connectors at the distributors.

I will put a photo up tomorrow.

Cheers for that - very helpful! :)

On 15/01/2017 at 23:32, GreyDJ2 said:

All the lead sets for the Mk2 Cavalier SE/SEH/NE engines like yours are the same. They are the ones with the right angle connector into the distributor and metal sleeves on the 3 longest. The 1.8E has a straight connector into the distributor.

Bear in mind that many Mk3 Cavalier HT leads, although they look the same, have different connectors at the distributors.

Memory deserting me. They don't look the same, although the distributors do.

The lead on the left is Mk3 that on the right the Mk2.

This is a set on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Cavalier-MK2-1800i-Genuine-Cambiare-Ignition-Cable-HT-Lead-Kit-/361595164254

IMG_8065.JPG

Many thanks for the info - got a set ordered (+ dizzy cap) today!

Found an old advert on YouTube featuring Mr. Martin Shaw, and a Cavalier LX with a similar registration mark to mine. :)

Edited by SteveL

Couple of points from your post. From that stamp on the Perforation card it looks like a Vauxhall fleet car when new.

I should have a working interior light, it would be £5 posted (mainly to Royal Mail!) if you want it.

This is a picture of your car's original wheeltrim. Good luck finding that!

IMG_8076.JPG