Hatchback

Kelvin berry

• SITE MODERATOR

Its not too bad then looking at those pictures.

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

19 hours ago, Kelvin berry said:

Is anyone close to sapcote in leicestershire,  I could do with some help with the welding .

I've spent the afternoon visiting local bodyshops asking for a quote for the work to be done, but I keep getting the feeling that they don't want the job. I can't weld myself so I'm gonna need help.

20171005_131133.jpg

20171005_131200.jpg

• SITE MODERATOR

Kelvin, get a cuppa and look at this:

http://www.mk2cav.com/topic/22089-gregs-lx/?do=findComment&comment=215520

This should provide some insight into what is possible.

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

4 hours ago, Greg said:

Kelvin, get a cuppa and look at this:

http://www.mk2cav.com/topic/22089-gregs-lx/?do=findComment&comment=215520

This should provide some insight into what is possible.

Bloody hell, after looking at that I'm happy , sad , and confused all at the same time.

But I'm also filled with motivation to get her done, I drove her to the mot station on Tues (very naughty of me I know) but couldn't resist not driving her, and that spurred me on to get going. Love what you've done to your white one she looks fantastic, hope mine looks as good when she's finished.

Mixed feelings today been let down yet again by another welder shop/garage,  said they could so my welding then didn't want the work.

So onto another bodyshop to get a quote for the work but gotta wait for over a week before someone looks at it, not so bad just means I can concentrate on the other jobs to be done. 

• SITE MODERATOR
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:44, Kelvin berry said:

Bloody hell, after looking at that I'm happy , sad , and confused all at the same time.

But I'm also filled with motivation to get her done, I drove her to the mot station on Tues (very naughty of me I know) but couldn't resist not driving her, and that spurred me on to get going. Love what you've done to your white one she looks fantastic, hope mine looks as good when she's finished.

Lol.....thanks....any mk2 love is appreciated on here.  Good luck with it Kelvin

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beginning to get bit stuck, nobody seems interested in doing my welding, have asked all the local bodyshops and they just say " not the sort of job we take on" or "we can look at it then give you a price " then never get back to me, I'm afraid one got a bit upset with me when I said " it's bodywork do you not do that sort of thing here in your bodyshop" it's looking more and more like I'll be learning to weld myself and do the job, or look further afield.

• SITE MODERATOR

Hello Kelvin, this it a shame.....and surprising in the same breath.  I hope you find someone.  There is a place on ebay that does car restos (as they sell mk2s) not sure if they are any good or local but if you need to move it somewhere else then they might be an option.

18 minutes ago, Greg said:

Hello Kelvin, this it a shame.....and surprising in the same breath.  I hope you find someone.  There is a place on ebay that does car restos (as they sell mk2s) not sure if they are any good or local but if you need to move it somewhere else then they might be an option.

Thanks Greg I'll have a look for them, until I can get the welding sorted all the other work has to be put on hold. And that's a bit frustrating. 

I understand your situation as I was in a similar position myself. Nobody wanted to know my last estate car and I didn't have time to do it hence it sitting there and ultimately getting scrapped. Sadly these cars aren't trendy enough to be worth peoples time as they don't have a huge following or value...not say like a split windscreen vw camper van. You will just have to learn to do it yourself, mig welding isn't difficult to do, it just takes time to learn to do it neatly. Could you not enrole on a welding course at your local college? I did a car body repair course years ago just to learn the basics, one night a week for three hours.

I will be doing mine myself this time as that will be the only way to get it done.

4 hours ago, chris m said:

I understand your situation as I was in a similar position myself. Nobody wanted to know my last estate car and I didn't have time to do it hence it sitting there and ultimately getting scrapped. Sadly these cars aren't trendy enough to be worth peoples time as they don't have a huge following or value...not say like a split windscreen vw camper van. You will just have to learn to do it yourself, mig welding isn't difficult to do, it just takes time to learn to do it neatly. Could you not enrole on a welding course at your local college? I did a car body repair course years ago just to learn the basics, one night a week for three hours.

I will be doing mine myself this time as that will be the only way to get it done.

Think your right chris, the only way to get it done, getting fed up of being let down.

Checking out courses tomoz.

Decision made, i'm doin the welding myself,,,, unless a miracle happens and a bodyshop comes forward,,, hahaha.

Got the cost of a welding course today £480,,, starts in Feb next year, this means I can start on the other jobs that need to be done aswell beforehand, also means I can get the skills up to scratch before I start welding the car..

• SITE MODERATOR
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:42, Kelvin berry said:

Decision made, i'm doin the welding myself,,,, unless a miracle happens and a bodyshop comes forward,,, hahaha.

Got the cost of a welding course today £480,,, starts in Feb next year, this means I can start on the other jobs that need to be done aswell beforehand, also means I can get the skills up to scratch before I start welding the car..

Nice one kelvin.  Good luck.

I ended up teaching myself welding, one thing to point out weld sparks burn, are very painful, smell awful & get into places you don't want them them to get to!, also when I was welding a chevette many years ago, I managed to set fire to the car and my hair twice (2x each ) in the space of an hour due to me rushing one morning. so have something to put out a fire if one occurs. Get a good welding mask. practice, practice, practice as much as you can, you never know you may be able to earn money from welding.

2 hours ago, jan the man said:

I ended up teaching myself welding, one thing to point out weld sparks burn, are very painful, smell awful & get into places you don't want them them to get to!, also when I was welding a chevette many years ago, I managed to set fire to the car and my hair twice (2x each ) in the space of an hour due to me rushing one morning. so have something to put out a fire if one occurs. Get a good welding mask. practice, practice, practice as much as you can, you never know you may be able to earn money from welding.

I know all to well about burns and fires, I worked in a garage many years ago and had to help out when any welding needed doing, like keeping an eye out for fires and make sure they didn't catch......... let's just say I didn't pay much attention and the drivers seat caught fire. It's funny but soon after I was told that I was surplus to requirements and wouldn't be needed anymore..

• 2 weeks later...
  • CLUB ADMIN
1 hour ago, Kelvin berry said:

I actually had a quote for the welding today £2000, yes 2 thousand :huh:

2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion time, but as has been said, gotta find someone that likes / loves them! If you don't need the car anytime soon, there are some top guys in Scotland! (only half joking!)

• Thanks 1