Hatchback

Kelvin berry

• SITE MODERATOR
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:51, Kelvin berry said:

I actually had a quote for the welding today £2000, yes 2 thousand :huh:

:blink:

Madness.....maybe my dad needs to go back to welding up cars if that's the charge now.  Hell maybe I should.

Good luck with it Kelvin

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

44 minutes ago, Greg said:

:blink:

Madness.....maybe my dad needs to go back to welding up cars if that's the charge now.  Hell maybe I should.

Good luck with it Kelvin

I've got one more guy to see about the welding, if all fails I'm goin back to school to learn , you can always practice on my motor Greg :D:D.

• SITE MODERATOR

Lol......I had plenty of practice on my white LX, but thanks for the offer ;)

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• SITE MODERATOR

Welding is all in the preparation.  Which means its hard on these old rusty cars as you find the affected area is bigger than it first looks (to get back to decent metal).

• SITE MODERATOR

Chin up Kelvin.....I actually enjoyed the welding bit.  It just takes some time and effort that's all :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well as usual things don't go quite to plan the project was to get the welding and mot done before Christmas , may have been a bit ambitious but I thought it was do able obviously not.

Now work has died off completely and no money means no work gets done to the car, I don't want to strip any more parts off until I can afford to fix it,  so the plan now is to research and read up about the work I plan to get done, fix the problems that won't cost money and generally fettle about in the engine bay. 

• SITE MODERATOR

Sorry to hear a lack of work Kelvin, good luck with finding more.

If you have time, then there is plenty to do with these old cars for not much cash input, get the grinder and scraper out for a start

19 minutes ago, Tony Autoweld Plaskett said:

Cheaper way to do it would probably be pay me to come.down there with my equipment and weld it there but my expenses with travelling and accommdation on top of my time welding would add up a bit be cheaper and quicker than trying to learn yourself I suppose 

I'e got a tent you can use and probably  £100 for fuel should be enough , all that' left is your quote for the welding, lol. 

Inner sills or outer sills and how many and are we talking full replacement sills or patching what's there

Inner arches or outer arches all 4 or just rears are we welding plates in and filling or putting outer arches in and smoothing or full rear quarters and smoothing or am i just welding replacement panels in and your smoothing/filling or what ?

Are we plating the floorpan or replacing it with a new panel, if replacing it what size is the new panel around ? if we are plating it how many plates of what size Will i be welding in and will I be welding them into the inside just or you want both sides or are we going for exact cut outs welded in and smoothed so they are invisible

The rear valance do you have a new one to weld in or are we repairing the one on the car and again if we are plating it how many plates of what size and I'm assuming you will deffo want that cut out exact and welded in and then ground off and polished so it' invisible will you ??

I need this info to be able to work out my time and materials mate if you let me know or better still send me detailed photos I can make an educated guess and give an accurate quote