Hatchback

Kelvin berry

Woke up this morning to find puddles in both my footwells , have been checking the usual places ie winscreen door seals scuttle drains  it they seem ok,  i'm wondering if it could be the sunroof drainage as there was a little bit of water on the A post, has anybody come across this before help and advice needed please..

• CLUB ADMIN

Even when my 130s scuttle drain rubbers were bunged up the motor didn't leak into the cabin, but I guess all are different! There should be a pretty good deal on the lock of rubber the motor sits on.

The sunroof should drain into the rear quarters, unless for some strange reason pipes were disconnected?

Water in footwell maybe a windscreen rubber?

45 minutes ago, andy said:

Even when my 130s scuttle drain rubbers were bunged up the motor didn't leak into the cabin, but I guess all are different! There should be a pretty good deal on the lock of rubber the motor sits on.

The sunroof should drain into the rear quarters, unless for some strange reason pipes were disconnected?

Water in footwell maybe a windscreen rubber?

Have checked sunroof drainage and mine had 4 drainage points, one in each corner. Have wondered if drain pipes have detached or leak.

The screen rubber looks to be sound. 

41 minutes ago, vxcalibre said:

drop the interior light and visor, and the lining carefully, you'll get an idea if the roofs leaking from its front drains

I've checked the head lining and that's dry, have been contemplating taking the dash out and checking the bulkhead  before I do anymore to the Interior. 

3 hours ago, andy said:

If your dash is snug to the screen rubber, leave dash in, you'll never get it as back under the rubber as factory! Close, but never the same...

I think the dash has been out before as there's a gap between that and the screen and the edge of it is beginning to separate, I've a horrible feeling that the screens got to come out and be resealed.

1 hour ago, Kelvin berry said:

here's a gap between that and the screen and the edge of it is beginning to separate,

ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list

have an assistant with a hose outside,  douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the leak.......

44 minutes ago, vxcalibre said:

ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list

have an assistant with a hose outside,  douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the leak.......

I'l try anything to find out where it' getting in.

When I had my chevette & found water in the footwells. I found later that the water was getting in via the bottom corners of the windscreen due to rust holes. I fibreglassed them up to stop the water getting in, so the inside could dry out. Later that summer I had plates welded in where the fibreglass was.

• SITE MODERATOR
14 hours ago, GreyDJ2 said:

Sprinkle some talc around so you can see from the water trail across it the direction of flow.

Great idea John W

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• SITE MODERATOR

Ironically Kelvin, the rust holes in the footwells let this water out, so welding them up shows the issue.

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

On 04/04/2018 at 19:34, vxcalibre said:

have an assistant with a hose outside,  douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the 

On 05/04/2018 at 12:44, Greg said:

Ironically Kelvin, the rust holes in the footwells let this water out, so welding them up shows the issue.

Just had the sills and arches turn up, the arches are ok but the sills are for a 4 door now I'm wondering if they will fit or not..

• SITE MODERATOR
1 hour ago, Kelvin berry said:

I've got a week off work soon and I'm gonna be spending the time on my car getting some jobs done at last..

Perfect.....get the pics up and we will try to assist where needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Best laid plans and all that,  what with one thing and another I've not had time to look at my car,  to say I'm not happy is an understatement,  I've ordered parts for it which didn't turn up when expected,  been unwell , and rain put a stop to it as well, it's my wife's birthday tomorrow and I'm spending time with her, so fingers crossed for good weather on Saturday and the parts to actually do some work on it.