85 Cavalier SRi

Ian Whorlow

• SITE MODERATOR

Wrong thread Andy (this is Ians) get a project one up.  The CDi looks good.

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• CLUB MEMBER

:DNo worries, ian is still totally bemused about his fuel tank .  More fuel in, no fuel out????  Have a feeling im going to have to remove the tank completely and sort it out properly. Probably no bad thing as i can give it a good going over and repaint/protect it while its out. However before i do that im going to attempt to carefully remove the sender unit today to see if i can find out what exactly is going on, just a bit concerned the bolts may not want to come out. Have looked for a replacemnt sender unit as well (as the earth terminal has coroded) but cannot find a direct replacement for it as yet:(

• CLUB MEMBER

Good news is the sender is out, bolts actually did not put up a fight and the problem is now obvious, filter is totally blocked. Now i would really like to replace with a new sender unit but so far i have failed to find a suitable replacement so any ideas or suggestions as to wherei might find one would be very welcome.  Alternatively i am going to be forced to clean up this one, fit a new filter (where from?), re solder the earth wire, and check the actual sender/float mechanism is working ok. Really do not want to do that though.  Any help with either sourcing a new unit or just new filter would be gratefully received. Also when refitting the unit (new or old) any suggestions as to what gaskets to use.

Many thanks.

One last question, is it possible for somebody to move this now to projects, would seem more appropriate.

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

• CLUB MEMBER

Absolutely, it was driving me mad, putting petrol in and nothing coming out, not to mention of course that i could not actually start the car. Of course as soon as i started to unscrew the sender the petrol made an appearance:D I think im going to put the sender back in, ive cleaned it up, fixed the earth connection back on so all i need is a little filter for the end of the pipe. Will be fine for now until if and when i can get my hands on a new/old unit.

• CLUB MEMBER

Can someone tell me why not.  Was looking for a new filter to go on the end of the sender outlet pipe without much luck and then had one of those lighbulb moments. Have no filter on the end of the pipe in the tank that cant be inspected easily, instead just have a small (see through) in line filter between the tank and pump.

1 hour ago, Ian Whorlow said:

Can someone tell me why not. , instead just have a small (see through) in line filter between the tank and pump.

if youre talking about the ones I'm thinking of, those filters are only suitable for low pressure, eg for carb models

11 hours ago, Ian Whorlow said:

Big day tomorrow hopefully, will pop the sender back in and fingers crossed it may be driving out the garage for the first time in over 20 years.

well, the currant bun's in the sky, is she ready for her outing yet? it is 8.30 :)