85 Cavalier SRi

Ian Whorlow

• SITE MODERATOR
On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:05, Ian Whorlow said:

Yes, just did it this morning but if i click on Owners Club i do not seem to be able to see anything??

I flagged it to Andy yesterday

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• CLUB MEMBER

Thought i would make list of parts already replaced to see what the cost was so far, not as bad as i thought although if i added man hours it would look a lot worse :D and the "to do " list is now getting much smaller but i expect might be added to:rolleyes:.  I see light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully when the summer comes round again will be back on the road. Difficult decision will then come as to whether to keep or sell:unsure:IMG_0460.thumb.JPG.fb609bd0c637f6f2172c6aa54475bfa5.JPG

• SITE MODERATOR

Good work Ian, keep fighting the good fight

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• 3 weeks later...
  • CLUB MEMBER

Nooooooooooooooooooooooh.:o   I know its not a Vauxhall but it is a very nice drive:D

Just come in from the garage having fitted a complete new exhaust so one more job ticked off.  Few grazed knuckles in the process. Only issue was with the new gasket that sits between the down pipe and start of the middle section. The old one had pretty much dissapeared completely and the new one seems too thick which meant having to try and compress the springs whilst trying to thread the bolts at the same time, not easy whilst you are laying on your back.:(

• SITE MODERATOR

The best bit about a Vauxhall is the engine.....these normally fire up even when stood.  Not sure if someone will say to lubricate the bores through the spark plug hole and turn it over by hand to get it all slippery before starting.  Not sure if its really required.

• CLUB MEMBER

Thanks for the reply. Although the car has been stood for a long time i have been working on it on and off for a year or two and the engine has been turned over regularly with fresh oil in it now so fingers crossed hoping all will be ok but will take your tip.  Was not sure whether the injectors might be a bit clogged up at all and whether some additive in the petrol would be advisable?  Petrol was drained completely some years ago now but i have just flushed a bit through the tank , pump/filter and surprised how clean it came through. Start up may have to be put off till tomorrow as i am busy with work.  Im also gusessing it may take a fair bit of turning over to get the fuel through so battery is on charge:)

• Like 1

• SITE MODERATOR

If the tank has been left empty for long periods rust can form on the inside.  The vapour from the fuel (albeit stale) will stop this as it stops all leaking in to provide the water to get the rust going.  I have this concern on the white LX.

Edited by Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • CLUB MEMBER

Well the progress continues but i have hit a speed bump.  First the good news. The engine runs fine and no leaks at all from new exhaust fitted or numerous new fuel hoses and breathers fitted. However, only runs if i put a direct 12v feed to the fuel pump.  It has new fuel pump, filter and relay all of which have been tested and are ok but it seems that i am getting no automatic voltage to the pump despite the relay activating correctly. I am left to assume that there may be a bad connection somewhere or worst case a break inthe wiring. Before i start to try and track down the problem thought i would ask first to see if there are any known issues of this nature and perhaps where to look first. Any help appreciated.

PS  Any chance this can be moved to "projects".

• CLUB MEMBER

Relay is new and  is definately ok and operating correctly. No immobiliser. All fuses are also ok.

What would be really helpful is if anybody could tell me whether there are any connection plugs/sockets in the wiring between where the two wires from the pump that go up into the rear wheel arch and the 12v supply that feeds it via the relay from the front.

Edited by Ian Whorlow

21 hours ago, Ian Whorlow said:

What would be really helpful is if anybody could tell me whether there are any connection plugs/sockets in the wiring between where the two wires from the pump that go up into the rear wheel arch and the 12v supply that feeds it via the relay from the front.

don't remember any in the many years of mk2 ownership, the only other issue I had was a dodgy earth at the rear panel

• 2 months later...
  • CLUB MEMBER

Quite a while since i posted, work continues (slowly), but i have hit a stumbling block. I have had the engine running some weeks ago and even sorted out the issue i had with the fuel pump. However last week i thought i would start her up again just to make sure all was still good and refused to start. I suspected fuel was the problem so checked what flow there was from the pump and nothing. Immediately thought i must just be out of fuel as i had only put a small amount in before so put in about a gallon and a half and tried again, nothing!  This is where it gets very odd and im sure to be asking what may be a stupid question but took the fuel outlet pipe of the sender on the tank and no petrol, not a drip, how can this be when i have just put in over a gallon.  I am obviously missing something very obvious. Any ideas welcome.

The outlet comes out of a swirlpot I'm sure and 1 gallon perhaps isn' enough fuel to allow it to self siphon as the level is below the bend I'd imagine, but that' assumption, if it has a pump it' an injection model so deffo has the swirlpot I'd be putting some more juice in it first off