VBOA 2019 options and opinions thread

GreyDJ2

8 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said:

Interesting point, we could premium price the 'bad boys' non Cav corner :)

Slightly off topic,

I remember years ago, with the Calibre register (morning Paul & Mandy....)  one went tech on the mot ramp just before billing, fella called Brian turned up at Billing in a Tigra

• CLUB REP
1 hour ago, chris m said:

Fair point....billing management make me nervous thats all. For us ots about cars, for them its about money and if something more lucrative came up, could we get dropped again?

It looks like the new management team have cottoned on to the fact that having some free (to the residents) onsite variety shows, like car clubs, is a really good differentiator for them compared to their, at least two, competitors in the area, one of similar size. Its win win for them as they make money on them as well.

I suspect they got some pretty nasty feedback from their residents the year all the shows disappeared.

• Like 1

• CLUB REP
15 minutes ago, Biz said:

Although I am a paid up member I won’t vote as I just come for the day, so I don’t think it’s right for me to vote as the two options have biggest impact on people camping.

Please vote, the decision will affect you too.

Many of us just come for the day and personally I don't want to go to a show where only the cars are on the stand and most of the people are away at their tents, at least those with their families there. That is not what this club is about, is it?

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect what the 😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈 is going on with the vboa and it's show for 2019 been notified via their Facebook page now billing is out and now another new location. When last I was aware it was billing and we were to vote as a club on way forwards weekend just gone I believe Now out the blue it is now at a new place. Can we please have some straight dialouge of what is happening cause all this chopping and changing is making this seem an utter shambles and more hassle than its worth sorry if I sound like having ago at people not meant to I know you guys do your best just fed up hearing it over Chinese rumours and other places

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• CLUB ADMIN

Newbody - you were not the only one caught out with this. As soon as we get something through we communicate it here. Unfortunately some seem to be taking the "post to social media first" approach - so genuinely this latest one has caught is on the hop too, or we'd have put it on the poll. 😓

• Like 2

hi everyone not been on here for a while due to health issues and growing older ive just read the post on facebook and is there an option for those who wish to arrive on saturday and camp over saturday night then leave sunday afternoon  thanks

Drives probably the only other ascona sr/e on the road in the UK

Its ok  Andy im just sounding off i know you guys and John do your best for us. 

I'm just hating the way it's starting to appear that Vboa seem to have no clue as to what their doing

Yes Paul the new venue does appear interesting drag strip and looks nicer grounds than MH but will it have the feel/vibe that MH had this year

Time will tell lets hope decision is made now and no more changes 

• Like 1

• CLUB REP

The first I knew was an email at 21.40 that I read half an hour ago. Sounds as if it could have some potential from an initial read. This is it.

Good Evening,

For the purpose of clarification, when the term “we” is used, it is to refer to the VBOA committee of the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and the Event organisation sub-committee.

Please read this all the way to the end as there is quite a lot to digest.

Voting on the Billing Options

The voting and feedback from the two Billing options has been received and of those clubs who responded there is an even split between Option 1 and Option 2, with further feedback from some that neither is tenable resulting in a desire to not show at all.

Outcome of the feedback/vote

With the results in mind, and taking into account the feedback received from individuals both on social media and direct to this email address, we have deemed it vital to seek out an alternative venue that carries neutral allegiance.

To some, this will be viewed as a non-democratic decision, but we feel that attending either Billing or Market Harborough would damage the VBOA and its associated clubs in such a way that recovery would be very difficult. The venue that we have visited, discussed with the management and decided upon is Sywell Aerodrome (http://sywellaerodrome.co.uk/, Hall Farm, Sywell, Northamptonshire, NN6 0BN). This venue has held several automotive events each year, with a prime example being the Sywell classic also known as props and pistons which would be the closest representation to the VBOA National Rally.

Goal of the VBOA Show

The prime goal for this is to take all the good from Billing and Market Harborough and improve on the not so good (toilets being the most obvious one).

We also want to try and bring the general public/car fanatics in, so an element of rebranding will be carried out to step on from the term rally implying a motorsport event to a motor show. The identity of the VBOA National Rally shall not be lost, merely built upon to take it to a new level

Venue/Show concept

We are looking to hire the venue exclusively for our use for the 5th-7th July 2019, where we will use at least two of the hangers (one is a bar/band area and carpeted), and the other can be for the auto jumble/trade stands so as to protect from any inclement weather. We also intend to make use of the concrete pan for the arena/food vendors akin to previous years which seemed to achieve the festival vibe that has been mentioned. Furthermore we intend to make use of the taxi way to have a 0-60/drag activity, this could also be a part of the parade lap should the desire be there.

The attached maps are a high level first pass at how the show could be laid out and given the space available, you would get the same stand sizes and setup (camping on stands) you have enjoyed in previous years. The only exception to this may be that if electric hook-ups are needed for things like caravans, then this would be in a single location with a limited number of pitches available. The space available for the show between the Arena and the far fence, to the North East, (or even the little roadway in from the entrance) is comparable to the area we had at Market Harborough. We do not have a layout for stands as yet but this will be high on the list of things to do and this will come out in time.

Also attached is an image from the LAA show there which is focussed on aircraft, but it shows an aerial shot of just what is possible there.

As this is an Aerodrome and not a purpose built camp/leisure facility, we will need to supply a myriad of things such as toilets/showers/PR/food vendors/entertainment/security and so on, if YOU or YOUR members can assist in the supply of this or anything else then please come forwards, this show will only be as good as we can all make it so the more involvement the merrier.

Hotel

We understand that many of you and your members have already booked rooms at the hotel at Billing. Billing is approx. 10 Minutes away from Sywell, and we would look to put on a bus service of some sort for the weekend if the demand is high enough.

Sywell have a 59 Room hotel on site, they have fixed their prices at £79/Night with breakfast at £8.50/Person. As they only have 59 Rooms, we suggest you book sooner rather than later, also do this direct with them and NOT Booking.com (http://www.aviatorhotel.co.uk/contact.php or 01604 642111)

Entry costs

Now, the costs (some of these will be subject to change)

Day entry for VBOA members (1 car + 4 people) will be no more than £10/day and working on a weekend entry pass too.

Day Entry for General Public (1 car + 4 people) £15/Day

Camping would be sold as a Friday-Monday (1 car + 4 people) at approx. £45

Additional car costs will be considered and information will be released but will be favourable.

We are looking at options of early bird pricing and also giving 1 weekend camping pass per club as we used to have at Billing.

This booking process would be using a dedicated booking agent that links directly to the VBOA.

Support

As has been mentioned, there is and will be quite a lot to do to make any show at any venue work, even if we were back at a purpose built site for this type of thing, so we need your help. Helping does not mean you or your members are stuck with a job/task for life, it means that you have helped to make the show as good as can be.

I have seen a sign in my local rugby club that says “before you complain, have you volunteered to help?”, I think this is a very valid and wholesome approach to anything like this.

There is of course much more to plan, prepare and do prior to the show and this is only the start of all the information that will come out, but it is everything we know at this present time.

Kind Regards

Stuart Lindborg

Vice Chairman – On behalf of the VBOA Committee and Event Sub-Committee.

• Like 1