VBOA 2019 Sywell feedback thread

GreyDJ2

• CLUB REP

Please give me some feedback, good or bad, on the event in general at Sywell so that I can take it to the next VBOA meeting.

Make that feedback comments on our stand as well please. Also, if you are suggesting it be a bit more than I achieved with our basic stand this year, if you would be up for helping us out next year.

Thanks

John

Edited by GreyDJ2

i think Sywell was a great venue for the vboa 

One of complaint's was some of the so called humans who are not toilet trained, this isn't just because I am female this was the Frist year Ever that I found it disgusting! Anyone that knows me knows it takes a lot 

to much traffic around the show , I mean it was a free for all but my main annoyance was the electric bin lorry that flew around and nearly had myself and part of the group many times.

Camping prices  !!! One night option 

personally found it easy to find and it was a well kept ground (easy to push a push chair around )

toilets on a sunday as the day went on got quite bad again due to users lack of toilet training and disregard for the facillites and others. 

People had stuck paper towel in urinals then used them manged to miss the bowl when taking a number 2 

the posh loo's someone had found it comical to throw all the paper towels about and flood the sides.

Suggestion for toilets have one on each club stand for that club down to them to maintain  so more respect should be shown to it 

and others dotted about for general use 

Bit more clarity on costing and rules/regs in advance for events running e.g. track pricing the need for helmets and needing full arm coverings to take the car on the track 

Pricing for the weekend for 3 nights to me was acceptable but for an overnight stop £50/£60 seems steep (only stayed the 2 in the end due to needing RAC home :) ) otherwise wouldn't have left until  today

Some other stalls might have helped the Bus/Farm Shop Brilliant saved on tesco run for small bits and what you forgot to bring.

Missing some of the other type stalls your sign shops; window tinters; wheel refurbers; the bric a brac/ nik nak stools for those not after car parts Like my missus the general merchandisers; Not going down the auto jumble side as we buy the parts up there will be less to be bought simples but was just the variety of different things missing my opinion.

But overall i had a Brilliant Time and a good Laugh with friends already made and met some new faces and look forward to the next event

The Planes taking off and landing during the day was added bonus of seeing some old school plane tech and stunt planes as a freebie on the weekend ; Might be a drawing point for Vboa to approach to see if a small show could be arranged to bring in outside of clubs footfall into the weekend .

That is pretty much most of the negatives i can think of that i see for the weekend otherwise as said i had a good laugh and enjoyed myself 

• Like 1

• CLUB REP

Going to have to move comments here myself :(

Rich Dale I loved the new location personally. We often look at Billing through rose-tinted glasses but it was us lot who made it what it was, not the site.
Billing had a lot of flaws, not to mention asbo types causing issues!
We were talking about it Saturday n
ight and how I once had to shout at a group to shut up in the middle of the night making loads of noise and keeping us all awake! That was just one example!
At least now, it’s only us show goers there and no chavs or gypos wanting to cause trouble!
We need to do like we discussed and have a huge proper get together like we used to! Make it a big huge party on our stand, get other clubs to want to join us! Be loud and rowdy like we used to haha!
Sywell has HUGE potential and I’d hate to see it move again!
Darren Hilburn +1 andy above. i dont think the political wranglings last year helped, billing>MH>sywell. but i think the site was brilliant, easy to get to, well kept, spacious, genuinely hope it survives and grows in the future
Andy Gray I thought it was great. I am sure it will be even better next year now they know what’s what. On mk2astra we were missing a 6-7 regulars too. Hopefully back at sywell for 2020 ! I guess similar to the first year at mh some don’t come until they see what it’s like.
John Waddell Sarah Thurlow The big old clubs are not what they were, perhaps with the exception of Manta. VxON (good old Cavweb as was) is no more, gone. Sites like this have done them in. What are appearing are new flourishing clubs coming out of social media, there were two new ones to VBOA this weekend and they were heaving. What the past three years has shown is the impact on our show of hundreds of non Vauxhall caravan owners walking round, making it look very busy. Strip them out and that's what we have now. Given the conflicting objectives of Billing and VBOA the show had to move and I recon that Sywell is going to be a damn good successor site.
Robert Macdonald Thought it was a great venue and lay out.
Sadly a very quiet event...car clubs quiet and auto jumble quiet.
Still had a great time and will be back next year.
Rich Dale Ivan Jay yeh was a fantastic atmosphere in there both nights, but Saturday was way busier. Dance floor was packed later on!

• 1 month later...
  • CLUB MEMBER

Only just spotted this thread otherwise would have replied sooner..

Like the site; hopefully we'll be back there next year. Thought letting people who wanted to loose on the runway/taxiway (don't know which as our cars aren't up to it) was a great idea.

Could have done with better signposting at the other entrances. We arrived at the far end of the airfield and didn't see any signage until the entrance before the show one. Obviously be less of a problem next year as we'll know where to go.

Echo the comments about the state of the toilets. Marian was distinctly unimpressed about the lack of hand-washing facilities.

Pity there were so few traders/auto-jumblers. That's one reason for coming to something like this.

But all in, a good show and great to talk to a couple of other members (in between the showers).

I  meant to comment on this earlier on, but forgot to... well I actually thought I did comment but I guess not...I probably fluffed the posting somehow, it's not unheard of, pilot error an' all that ;) 

Anyway, as far as the stand goes, great welcome, nice chat with 'Newbody' (right?), I'm useless with names, and thankyou to 'GreyDJ' (right?) for the parts, that was an unexpected  bonus :) . And the club had the right Idea when it comes to positioning the cars, they were all facing out to the main thoroughfare, with the camping and club social area to the back, made it easy to look at the cars without infringing on the privacy of the club members tents. It was a shame some of the other clubs in attendance couldn't manage this, as their stands looked more like they were showing the cars to themselves rather than other show goers. 

I still can't stand the bunting they insist on roping the cars off with, some stands it was difficult to find the entrance to the stand so we just wandered past without 'going in', but it's been like that since MH so i'm getting used to the 'guessing game' of spot the entrance. One club even had the 'entrance' in-between the tents so it was like walking into someone's house un-invited...  we skipped that one . I also didn't spot the bedfords until it was time to go, and there was only about 4 of them? Not much of a show for the 50th anniversary eh, when I took mine down to billing 2015 for our wedding we had a line up of about 10 :D . Also the entrance was badly signposted on the outside, and badly marshalled on the inside, I had to ask a few people we trundled past where the rest of the cavs were as the map wasn't very clear and the corresponding 'internal' roads were non-existant virtually. 

Toilets? well... everyone in our family has learned to levitate since MH so it wasn't a problem, but I do miss the Billing toilet/shower blocks :D .

I liked the autojumble, mainly because I managed to find a pair of mk1 ascona/cav window regulator handles for a fiver, ebay wanted me to pay £11 plus £stupid postage for one. I now have matching window winders. . .  it's the little things that count right? 

As for the rest of the 'jumble, I thought it was good, plenty of variety, even some Viva bits which made a pleasant change, although I was a bit annoyed as for all the years I have ran Viva's the autojumble has been severely lacking in HB bits.. now I don't have one all the traders have stocked up...typical. 

So all in all....this show needs better toilets, less silly ropes with flags on,  but more thought to the layout in regards to where you can drive to get to your car's stand. A better layout in general, and maybe some 'public' to make the show less 'quiet'... it was a very closed shop and people kept to themselves mostly. 

In all fairness we weren't there long as we had another show to attend ( which was fantastic by the way, I'd suggest popping over to the Baston show next year ( which confusingly wasn't it Baston but at Grimsthorpe Castle), it was well worth the mad dash back home to attend, even if we did miss the opportunity to show off the car and had to park with the moderns) but in my view, Sywell wasn't too bad for a first effort, so if the VBOA stop messing venues around and stay there they could probably make it a good show. 

I'm sure I have more to say but I've waffled on far too much now...

Edited by L13

18 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said:

I must be missing something. Why?

think it was viva never really saw a car on there the stand immediately behind the tents on our pitch

it will give us parking for non cavaliers and makes our stand a bit bigger :);) 😎

Edited by newbody
  • Like 2

• CLUB REP
9 hours ago, newbody said:

think it was viva never really saw a car on there the stand immediately behind the tents on our pitch

it will give us parking for non cavaliers and makes our stand a bit bigger :);) 😎

Thought that might be it but I had forgotten what they were called.

I'll be on it :)