Newbie needing some advice

Cav140

Hi guys 

Newbie looking for some advice on a 1985 mk2 Sri hatch 

Been offered a B reg 1.8 Sri hatchback in red been with same owner for 30 years but not been used for probably best part of 15 years maybe more, car does have rust to sills and arches from and not sure it's a runner yet.

Good points are its been with same owner a long time and has only covered 52k miles also interior is in amazing condition.

What should I be looking out for and what would something like this be valued at?

Rust, Rust, Rust they rust everywhere sills, rear arches and lower rear quarters, around the petrol filler, rear spring mountings, front floor/bulkhead area ( difficult to find without lifting carpets and underlay ) If the car has a sunroof  look for rot in the roof its easy to spot, lower front wings, front and rear wheel housings around suspension mounting areas, front cross member and both front and rear valences, door bottoms to name a few areas. Its simpler to just suspect ALL areas of metal. Yours with only 52k may not be to bad. As for value i am guessing a couple of grand but i would not swear to that.

Don,t think i would try to start it without changing the timing belt, i know the 2.0 litre is a safe engine valves and pistons don,t meet when the belt goes but not sure about the 1.8. Brakes obviously will require checking etc etc.

In my opinion though these Vauxhall cars rust no more than many 80,s cars. I cannot speak from practical experience as my 130 was only 5 years old when i bought it covered in Waxoyl and had no rust but many on here have restored cars and will have experience on these issues. 

There is a dam good ongoing project on here now restoring a 1.8 which may give you ideas and solutions. 

Thanks neilsri130

I have now been informed the car in question hasn't been started in 20 years although has been pushed around on drive when its needed to be moved.

The car is totally original and complete however I can see and have been told it has rust on arches and sills.

Not sure on what offer to put forward for something like this and buyer also has no price so will have to check it over and then have a think on price.

Wish me luck 😀

• CLUB REP

OK that's post the factory shutdown summer 85. Do the seats have stripes up the middle or are they one colour with a Recaro badge at the top?

Just trying to identify if it is last knockings of early spec or mid spec.

The rust is probably assisted by water splash from the ground if it was in the open, so all around its outer circumference could be gone. Then depending on leaves in the drains at the base of the screen (under the bonnet) there could have been water ingress to the cabin via the heater hole. The front of the level parts of the front footwells are often rust traps lurking under perfect carpets (its the foam underneath that's the culprit).

Edited by GreyDJ2

3 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said:

OK that's post the factory shutdown summer 85. Do the seats have stripes up the middle or are they one colour with a Recaro badge at the top?

Just trying to identify if it is last knockings of early spec or mid spec.

Seats are light grey with dark stripes in middle.

• CLUB REP

Part of the problem is that it is a midspec which are generally worth less than the early/late cars. This is especially true of the interiors which in that condition, as an SRi, would be worth hundreds as early or late. As it is I really don't know.

The body shell and running gear is probably pretty shot. The engine and gearbox should be good. But these are rare now and should really be saved. But.

The only way that this makes any sense is for someone who knows what they are doing to buy it and put hundreds of uncosted hours into it along with a few hundreds of £ in parts.

It really needs someone who knows to look at it. Where in the country are you?

Edited by GreyDJ2

• 2 months later...