Estonian Ascona C Irmscher 88'

otipoiss

• 2 weeks later...

This is where my english is a bit narrow. I'm not entirely sure what you  mean by holds, but I take a guess that you mean all the bolts and bits. 

All of them were sand or soda blasted and then zinc plated.

Unfortunately there are not many (2 as far as I know) companies in Estonia that do plating and the one closer to me had quadrupled its prices. I think its mainly to scare off hobbyists like me. 

• 1 month later...

Keeping this thread somewhat up to date. 

tiib21.jpg

tiib1.jpg

tiib3.jpg

So front fenders got some treatment to the inside. Thoroughly cleaned, painted, stone chip protected, and painted again. The outside will be taken care of when they are finally fixed to the car. 

I have repainted the engine bay again and I think that more successfully this time. Ofcourse its still not show-quality but will do for me. 

I also have a question. I've gotten some suggestions over time, that I should replace my original (C20NE) camshaft with a 18E one. Is this something worth doing? Does a bare camshaft give me anything or do i need the whole head from 18E? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question. Where does the fuel return line connect to? Right now im guessing to the sender unit? The fuel vapor can goes to the filling neck? Ive got 3 connections there which i guess 2 go straight to the tank. I think Im in a need of a thorough manual for assembly :D

pohi.jpg

Also another problem occurred, I do not have the necessary stuff to complete handbrake system, everything that is supposed to be mounted on the rear axle is either lost or gone to scrap because of being rotten. 

Edited by otipoiss

• 1 month later...

Not much to report, other than the copper piping is mostly done. Handbrake system to assemble and I think its time to remove the rotisserie after that .

Also bought a bunch of parts. pehmedv22rtused.jpg.89f7bef03311a34fec2fcbdf657e051a.jpg

To be honest I actually bought more of them, a whole parts car 

gtsp3.jpg.6cbbb9a0d7c6233e2c11c1e7a84e0203.jpggtsp2.jpg.0952e3c4e5924680ff138eb7d7a3307e.jpggtsp1.jpg.02d5cac286f6604ddb34ae375b1e200a.jpg

Its a GT Sport with 20NE engine. I dont know if it would run, I dont have the motivation or time to find out either. Interior was the main reason for buying it, but I guess it will be quite convenient to have another car to look at while putting my own car back together. 

Edited by otipoiss
pictures

• 1 month later...

I will continue my monologue. 

oo2.jpg

oo1.jpg

oo3.jpg

oovittu.jpg

Passenger side front door came from hatchback and it doesn't fit. This means that hatchbacks have lower roofline? Funny thing is that I did measure the width of the door before even bothering to remove it, but I never ever thought that a sedan door could be taller. Very unreasonable of Opel/Vauxhall. 

Anyhow, luckily I have my donor car, and that door was ok. 

A question aswell, how much do headlight wiper motors/arms cost these days? Someone from MK2Cav Facebook group did offer me an incomplete set, but I'd hate to overpay. 

Edited by otipoiss
pictures

Eighteen months ago i paid £25 for two new in the bag GM old stock headlamp wiper arms with 4 new blades from a local guy here in Ruabon who had a 130 around 30 years ago which i thought was very cheap but no motors, fortunately both mine were ok. I think used motors will be very rare though i don,t recall ever seeing any for sale. 

• 2 years later...

Hello. It has been a while. 

I am still trying to start over with this. Trial fitting the body panels, bending them right, to match and follow the lines of the car shell. Maybe I find some recent pictures later aswell. 

In the last few years I've managed to secure a set of headlight washer motors. Also a wiper arm for the left hand side, but Im missing a right hand one. 

If someone has it for sale then please let me know. 

part#90035684.png

Edited by otipoiss
pix