VBOA meet 2017 not at Billing

GreyDJ2

• CLUB REP

There was a VBOA reps meeting at Luton this morning.

All car clubs using Billing were told last Tuesday that there would be no car based events there from now on, so, after 34 years at Billing the journey has ended.

Having been told that, with 29 of the 31 VBOA clubs represented, the meeting turned into a little like herding cats! As you can imagine there were many different views. However, after an hour or so going round in circles a compromise was found and decisions taken.

The VBOA committee are now starting on checking out alternatives. The first thing to take on board is that there is no Billing equivalent out there. Compromises are going to have to be made. One of the biggest to us operationally as a Club is that we are going to have to predict attendance more accurately (for pitch size) and almost certainly collect ticket money ourselves.

The sites that will be checked out, against an agreed set of requirements, are, in no particular order, Peterborough Show Ground, Luton Hoo, Bicester Heritage, West Midlands Show Ground Shrewsbury, Newark Show Ground. Availability being checked for the first two weekends in July.

Us reps will be consulted but a decision should be reached by the Committee this month and I will update this post as soon as I know anything.

Feel free to make comments.

John

Thanks for the info John. 

To be honest I think us collecting the ticket money ourselves would be a good idea, it would put an end to the flakey "I might turn up" nonsense we saw this year where we had very little idea of how many were going to turn up.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the possible alternatives?

• Like 1

What would Gordon do?

• SITE MODERATOR

Shame, but the gathering is more about the people and the cars than the place so it'll be alright where ever ;¬)

• Like 1

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• SITE MODERATOR
23 hours ago, Paul said:

Even if the VBOA didn't do a show I would like to think we would still meet up somewhere for a weekend camping and drinking 

This pains me but I have to agree with the pooh brown mk2 owner, but I do.  Maybe we should steal a bank holiday for mk2 ownership somewhere?  We could actually all stay at billing.....now that would be funny.

Edited by Greg

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• SITE MODERATOR

Good idea then :ph34r::ph34r:

ring ring

picks up *hello, this billing aquadrome camping, when would you like to book,"

Greg *ummm May bank holiday please

Caller *ok, for how many

Greg *48 people, 36 tents, with 36 cars, can we get a discount for a large booking please?

Caller *let me discuss this with my manager.....

lol

To be honest, if we all booked separately into the largest field, what is stopping us camp together?  Certainly would be under the radar.  This could be hilarious.......be interesting to get Johns take.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...