Cavalier Calibre restoration

Ron Morris

Hi all thanks for letting me join up as I’m going to be restoring my cavalier calibre in early spring next year. It’s not seen the light of day since 1996 and in a sorry state. It’s only covered 43k from new and has only been a one owner car my uncle who sadly passed away early this year. as far as I can see it has little to no rust. I will upload some pictures ASAP 

Welcome to the site, never owned a Cally but have a 130 saloon in Carmen Red. You only have to read the projects past and present on here to see where our cars rust ( everywhere you can and cannot see ) and there is plenty of advice and knowledge on here concerning all aspects of restoration and maintenance. Tahir is the man to go to regarding these cars and Rabbit by me has been restoring a Cally for some time dont know how he is getting on with it as bloody COVID has kept me away ( i will be 70 next year so well and truly self  isolating )

• Like 1

Hi Neil thanks for the reply. It’s good to know their is a few others restoring cavalier’s out their .I think I’m going to need a bit of help on this one. I’m going to take a few pics tomorrow of the old girl. she is in a right mess cosmetically looks like house hold paint was spilt over the boot lid and rear quarter but seems solid from what I could see, but I’m expecting a few surprises along the way. As for COVID it’s been a pain in the arse can’t wait to see the back of it but some things our out of our control. Yes definitely isolate and keep safe 👍

• 2 months later...
  • SITE MODERATOR

On 19/11/2020 at 16:39, Ron Morris said:

Hi all thanks for letting me join up as I’m going to be restoring my cavalier calibre in early spring next year. It’s not seen the light of day since 1996 and in a sorry state. It’s only covered 43k from new and has only been a one owner car my uncle who sadly passed away early this year. as far as I can see it has little to no rust. I will upload some pictures ASAP 

Hello Ron, welcome to the site and you have my condolences about your uncle.

This car looks great and the house paint shouldn't be an issue.  I'd almost leave it on for the MOT......lol.....rustic, and sort it later. Hopefully the garage has kept the worst of the rusy away.....you will need to get it out and jack it up to have a good look round, incl get the skirts off it.

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

Hi Greg, sorry for the late reply been mega busy with kids, work, home schooling. just finishing of an old K reg 1992 Silver Peugeot 106 XSI restoration and repaint for my mate. Just the glass and interior trim to go in. then the cav is being brought to my house to do a full restoration. Im doing it with my teenage daughter as she was a quarter of the way thorough airplane build project with school and our local RAF museum when this covid pandemic started. And she really wants to learn all about engineering, mechanics, etc so its going to be a slow process but we will be documenting the whole process from start to finish        

• CLUB REP

Given its mileage and where its been there is a very good chance its in good nick underneath.

I'm with Greg on this, before you start restoring it get it going and put it through an MoT test. If you let you daughter do much of the work, firing it up and passing the test will give her a huge boost at the start of the project. Rather than just facing an endless stream of jobs with no idea of what will be the end result.

She will then experience the Cavalier happiness bubble that it generates in most people who see one on the road.

• Like 1

Hi GreyDJ2 

The plan is engine gearbox suspension etc all out and a full overhaul, so it becomes a runner then a full detail of the body work to see what needs doing from what i could see their was some deep scratches on the roof where items have been dragged on and off. im expecting the engine and water pump to be seized as its not been turned over since 1996. thanks for the advice 😎👍 

• CLUB REP

Sounds a plan. Shouldn't be seized unless the water has gone. I'd take the plugs out and see if it turns by hand, if it does put a battery on and see. You could be pleasantly surprised, the tappets will rattle a bit before the oil gets up properly.

Could put a smile on your face, at that mileage the engine/gearbox shouldn't need rebuilding.

Are you going to upgrade the front brakes with the 256mm 2.0 Mk3 brakes? Its the best and easiest mod on the car.

I fitted mk3 Cav GSi front brakes, to the one I had in 2006. Until the engine fell apart on the Runcorn Bridge. Rabbit bought it off me.

I think I also passed on a full body kit to him......

The standard wheels give about a fag paper of clearance. (But an early identical looking mk1 Astra GTE wheel wont fit due to more metal in the casting. )