is it worth it???

tyggar1

Guest zero-defects

DEFINE worth it !!! [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Yes, there's alot of work, it needs welding, painting, and years of mechanical neglect removing from it.

If you start to value your time in monetry terms at say £10 an hour, it won't take long for you to have consumed it's value in time alone.  

But if you see it as a hobby, and you have a vision of the finished car, which is all done by you, then it's not going to cost you anymore than going to the golf club twice a week.  

Be very aware that if you are already doubting whether it's worth it, in 9 months time when it is stripped bare and engineless you may get to the point of deciding enough is enough.

I work with a guy in his 60's who about 10 years ago was restoring a austin sprite, spending 2 hours a day in the garage.  One day his wife came in the garage and said something about there being better things to do with his time.  He dropped the wing he was working on, threw it in the car and has not laid his hands on the car since.  

As far as I can see, you need to be completely determined, and need support from wife or husband, otherwise one of you will resent the time you waste.  

I would say it something you love then go for it. I did the same thing 3 year ago, spent every dying seconds on my lady for a solid 8 months. Ok I came across the odd problem or 2 and maybe pushed it to the extreme, but we got there, and the results speak for them self. If you have a garage it will makes things a hell of a lot easier ;D

right i'll start at the begining when me and my husband first got together, he had a cavalier comander. sadly there was to many things wrong with her to repear she she went to heaven, 5 years later. we decided to get another cav mk2 and he found the calibre on e-bay .we've seen one in lancaster a few times and thought it might be a good idea.

at the moment the calibre has no body kit on and nothing inside. we've striped her and thats taken less than a week

i just wanted everyones thoughts on the matter i think she will look good again and i know it will take a while but it will be worth it in the end to us and at least my husbanmd doesn't have to worry about me getting on his back seem as we're doing it together  and hopefully she'll be nearly done for billing next year it would be good to show her off

Without a shaddow of a doubt, it's worth it. Mine was in BAD condition when i bought her, I spent months welding and then sorting out the bad body work. I have never regretted it and I have even started to do it again to try and get an absolute minter!  :D

Guest I_JEREMY

it's DEFFO  worth it,i'm still shocked by the amount of heads mine turns  [smiley=rolleyes.gif] [smiley=rolleyes.gif].don't get me wrong,there were times when i thought,is it all worth it,and why am i doing it,but in the end,i'm glad i never gave up.it makes it worthwhile when a complete stranger comes up 2 when ur parked in the local chicken paxo brigade car park and says"best looking car in the car park m8",and then walks away admiring  ;D ;D

we have time? NO WE HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD SON we have plenty of money? WE WISH and we have to do it outside in the cold but we do have plenty comitment as for our son i think we'll end up teaching him to help with her she might be finished by the time hes driving  hahahahahaaha

Guest zero-defects
we have plenty of money? WE WISH

Another from the Jacko school of negotiation then? remember IF the seller did not cry or get angry with your offer, you are paying too much !!!

If you are going for useable reliable and tidy then the only thing that costs real money is paint work.  

Of course it's worth it, despite what common sense and your peers say :P

It isn't worth it if you're basing it on cost and what it'll be worth once done (Until prices go on the up again), but if it's for personal enjoyment it's a different matter :)

If you do decide it's not worth it though, I'll take it off your hands  ;D ;D

I would - I'm sure you'll be able to get all the parts you'll need from various sources.

Just think about what the 'before and after' pictures will be like and the sense of achievement that will accompany them.

As you may know, there were only ever supposed to 100 of the Calibres made, but someone at Luton added an extra '0' by mistake and ordered 1000 bodykits! The decision was therefore made to make 500 cars and have 500 spare bodykits to sell - most of which found their way onto European cars.

When my SR is finished next year, I'll probably be looking for one of the very last Calibres to restore (one of the 'F' reg ones.) Then I'll have an example each of the first and last performance Mk2 Cavalier saloons.