Hi to all.

Ian

Thought it was about time I said hi to everyone and tell you about me. Live in Swindon and work at RAF Lyneham, I have an E reg 1.8 bog standard Cabby in red that a friend wanted rid of and paid the princely sum of £50. (not sure if that was a good deal or not!! :Ha) Just renewed the fuel pipes and got her started. Runs like a dream, wouldn't believe she was standing for 2 years. She had a new hood a few years ago which cost quite a bit so thats something not to worry about for a while. I have just got PAS from a MK2 CD which is going in and the rear discs from an early Mk3 so these are my first projects (Apart from a bit of welding) Have a few other things i'd like to do so expect lots of questions, I'm about to join in full and look forward to meeting most of you in due course. :D

Guest Chalkey

welcome to the funny farm....oppps sorry forum....

As Mark said yes, if nothing else for certain pieces of glass, but if the whole car is half decent they you have bagged a bargain.....

Thanks to all of you for the welcome. :D I certainly seem to think I got a bargain, The cab needs a bit of work in the welding department. Someone had a good old go at bodging the boot and rear lower panel. May need to get a new one, any suggestions for good panel suppliers would be great.

Guest zero-defects
I have just got PAS from a MK2 CD which is going in and the rear discs from an early Mk3 so these are my first projects

Beware the front bulkhead and PAS and cabby's tends to be a bit weak.  Some have found the rack sort of comes away with it's mounting.  

Also if you are fitting rear discs you most likely need to fit the fronts from a mk3 as well.  

Did I say Hi ?   welcome to the forum !!!

Guest zero-defects
Bulkheads phooey makes no odds,

Just check it for cracks when you fit the PAS.

Hands up anyone that's had a problem.

My mate Frank had it on both his convertibles !!

Guest zero-defects
This is a problem for all mk2's be it a convertible ,hatch or saloon on pas or manual

I am happy to accept your statement but suggest again that whilst you have the rack off, it's a good time to check.

I did think that PAS was worse due to lack of relief valve and Convertible was worse due to some quirk of cutting the roof off and strengthening the shell.  

But if it's ALL of them I best check mine out now.  

Im taking the old rack out tomorrow so will give it all a good check out. Think head gasket might be a bit dodgy as well, she blew her top today, have checked all the sensor wiring out and changed the thermostat but she just boiled again. Fan works when I bypass it. Is there anything else that I may have missed? :?

• 1 month later...

Have had the week off to try and get her on the road but the weather has put a halt on most of it.

Have tried to get a picture of the £50 wonder, its not good clarity but it should give you an idea of what i got for my money.

photocav0026ss.jpg

Guest zero-defects
Im taking the old rack out tomorrow so will give it all a good check out. Think head gasket might be a bit dodgy as well, she blew her top today, have checked all the sensor wiring out and changed the thermostat but she just boiled again. Fan works when I bypass it. Is there anything else that I may have missed? :?

Usually head gasket !!!