Mk2 Cavalier Saved maybe

Cavtastic

My young nephew had his 52 plate Rover 25 stolen recently. He has always liked MK2 Cavalier's since he was a small boy when his grandad had a LX (Mine Now). Anyway he has been practically given a Mk2 E plate 1.6 GL Hatchback which has been parked at his work place for over a year.

He described the car as standard with a tidy body except for one rear arch, and some small holes in the rear sill area, All common areas you would agree. His problem is that he can not get it started, it will run for a while (roughly) and cut out.

He has changed the plugs and leads and Disy cap. The car ran perfectly before it was laid up.

He needs a Manual and maybe a Carb, but not sure. He lives in Halesowen Birmingham, He is going to join the club if he can get the car running.

I there any member in the area who can give him a help to get it running so he can get it MOTed and back to his house so he can work on it.

If its a auto choke varajet2 carb, it could be the auto choke playing up. Would be a good idea to put some fresh fuel in it, as its stood for over a year. Unleaded goes stale after about 6 months, which wont be helping. Hope he gets it going, free mk2's are the best  ;D

He has put new fuel into the car 1/2 a tank full he reckons. He tells me the car will now tick over, but will not rev. Sounds like fuel starvation, I have told him to check for an inline fuel filter that could be blocked and to check th filter in the mechanical fuel pump. At least he has got it running and he is determined to get it on the road. I immagine it will end up with bigger wheels and a cannon exhaust, and a boot full of speckers and amp 8). The joys of youth ;D ;D

Good to see you are encouraging the family to keep up the tradition. There are a few members around that area, but site is quiet at this time of year.

Hope he gets it going.

I know thie is obvious but has he tried the distributor cap and rotor arm, i changed these on my 1.6L and it made the world of difference in getitng it to start, dont think it had been chnaged inb 22 years.

Nephew has contacted me and informs me  that MK2 Cav is up and running on all 4. I think it was the petrol pipe from the pump to the carb which was had gone soft. Everytime the car was rev'ed up the suction squashed the pipe hence starving the carb of the motion lotion. Thanks for all your help folks on the issue and it looks like a mk2 will be saved.  ;D ;D

I wonder when I will get the phone call to go over to Birmingham for the weekend and do the welding :laugh: I will get him to mail me some pics of the Cav and show you the beast.