Mk1 Vectra

Cavtastic

Bought a 1997 1.8 LS vectra today as a cheap runner, not as bad as I thought. Drives ok, looks ok, fuel consumption ok, why did it get such a shi# road test when it first came out. ???

Anyone else got anything nice to say about the the thing called "Vectra"  or Should GM of  kept the MK2 Cavalier in production :o

The Mk3 cavalier was the new model as this car was the vectra A it only got taken straight to the british publics harts because they called it a cavalier as for the vectra B a new model plus a new name put most people of in the beggining with some people slating the car with out even driving one

I think that the vectra B was an ok drive early seats were a bit hard but all the issue's got sorted on the face lift as it did with the cav mk2 & mk3 but just dont get me started on the vectra C that is just total sh1te

• 3 weeks later...

Ive always had cavaliers. But year ago I bought a very tidy Vectra sri 2.0 for £850. It was a great car, very quite, excellent on fuel and well equiped and quite quick. I also think the Vectra is alot better than the F**d Mondeo. But the old Cavalier is in my eyes a better car than the Vectra. So easy to fix but they bever need fixing and alot more fun. I have had a 11 for god sake.

I've got both, Cav CD and Vectra CDX.  My V6 Vectra is currently at Courtenays having the final parts of some head work and downpipes done so at the moment I'm running the Cav as my daily drive again. 

I really enjoy having the old Cav on the road, it's a great drive, runs nice and produces the noises, creaks, rattles and thunks that only an old car can.  It's utterly comfortable too.

The Vectra is far quicker but has the modern "eco" power delivery that a chip made better but still noticable.  It's great to have climate control (albeit a bit weedy) and cruise which I use all the time.  The leather is far from sumptuous and as Chutney said above, the seats are a bit hard.

I wouldn't describe either cars as dynamic but they are both sincere, reliable and dependable and both return in the early 30's mpg under normal driving.  If I was going for a hack and some fun then I'd reach for the Cav's keys every time.