another new person

Guest evesham

Guest evesham

Hi

i started coming to this site when i got my cav a year or so ago, but have finally bit the bullet and paid to join! My name's Jon and i have an 88 F reg 1.3 base. It's fairly shoddy with some rust and rips but it's awesome, and should soon start properly on the road back to it's former glory. i've started getting the stuff together for a head clean+de coke, just need the head bolts and new valve springs then i can get going... so my first questioin to you guys is do you have any hints for while i'm doing the job- any Cav perculiarities which might catch me out!? also, how do i start getting my hands on some mk2cav merchandise?  :D

cheers guys!

The only thing is remember to empty out the hydralic lifters all you need to do is wind them up in a vice to squeeze the oil out refit them empty will rattle a little on start up for first time but saves a lot of hassle by them pumping up & holding the valves open

Guest zero-defects

Hi.

Rarer than a Calibre !!

The thing that interests me about 1.3's is the potential to bring them up to Nova Rally Car Spec.  Was that about 120 BHP ?  What I'm really saying is : Make sure you look on Nova sites as well, because PARTS for sale may be more forthcoming.  

That said, brakes and suspension upgrades just as valid.  I assume it's got a 4 Speed ?  I wonder if a 5 speed can be made to fit ?

Guest zero-defects
Hello mate and welcome, I agree with POD the 1.3 is pretty rare :P

Did early one's have a camshaft issue which made the camshaft a consumable ?  

Hi.

Rarer than a Calibre !!

The thing that interests me about 1.3's is the potential to bring them up to Nova Rally Car Spec.  Was that about 120 BHP ?  What I'm really saying is : Make sure you look on Nova sites as well, because PARTS for sale may be more forthcoming.  

That said, brakes and suspension upgrades just as valid.  I assume it's got a 4 Speed ?  I wonder if a 5 speed can be made to fit ?

Most likley a 5 speed as I had a D reg 87 Black 1.3L Saloon and that was a 5 speed ;)

mine's a 4 speed, though when you look on the bell housing there's a little diagram of gear positions which goes up to 5... don't know if it's a universal housing or what.

120bhp?! i've no idea what she's making now but i'd be interested in some upgrading... someone said a 1.3 nova SR would fit? as far as brakes and suspension go i don't really know what i'm on about with cars... can anyone suggest suspension packs and where i can get them?

i can't believe it's that rare, i assumed there'd be loads of the small engines. that's ace!!

mine's a 4 speed, though when you look on the bell housing there's a little diagram of gear positions which goes up to 5... don't know if it's a universal housing or what.

120bhp?! i've no idea what she's making now but i'd be interested in some upgrading... someone said a 1.3 nova SR would fit? as far as brakes and suspension go i don't really know what i'm on about with cars... can anyone suggest suspension packs and where i can get them?

i can't believe it's that rare, i assumed there'd be loads of the small engines. that's ace!!

If you mean the engine from a 1.3 SR Nova then if yours has the pierburg carb then it is the same as the SR! ;) ;)

Guest zero-defects

I had (and mislaid) a total Vauxhall magazine that detailed the Super Sport Nova.  I'm sure twin 40's were mentioned as an Option ?  

I SUSPECT the only problem with NOVA websites will be that the preferred route to more performance will be engine swapping.  

Guest zero-defects
i've no idea what she's making now

as far as brakes and suspension go i don't really know what i'm on about with cars... can anyone suggest suspension packs and where i can get them?

About 70 BHP ?  A guess !  

Brakes and suspension ?  Got to be careful not to go too far, you will need 14 inch wheels for the normal brake upgrades (astra GTE 16V / mk3 cav SRI front calipers).  Given the moderate power I'd avoid wide tyres 185's might be a good compromise with GOOD rubber.  (Sri's are 195's)

Suspension ? AVOID major hard drops, perhaps a New SRI set up would be better than in the weeds, especially if you have a bad back !

Also, if you were planning on more luxury, remember electric windows, central locking and PAS add weight and sap power.  

RARE ?  You try and get someone to buy it !  Look though the For sale sections and watch what happens to the 1.6's that come up.  

Basically they end up scrapped, cause given the choice most would rather a 1.8 i or above.  

That said : If an early 1.3 -  2 door at the right price were for sale I think a few (including me) would go for it.  

I had (and mislaid) a total Vauxhall magazine that detailed the Super Sport Nova.  I'm sure twin 40's were mentioned as an Option ?  

Twin 40's irmscher sport fast road cam & a back box were all the parts in a kit that we used to fit to make a nova sport

Guest zero-defects

Twin 40's irmscher sport fast road cam & a back box were all the parts in a kit that we used to fit to make a nova sport

When we say WE what do we mean ?  Was one or  is one connected with General Motors in one way or another ?

Regarding your gearbox/selector mate - definitely make sure you haven't got a 5-speed box on a 4-speed selector, that's what I had in my saloon when I first got it - the engine subsequently let go of it's insides at about 110 (no rev counter you see :?   )

If it's got the 5-speed diagram, I'd say it's a 5-speed box. Now it's easier to swap the selector out for a 5-speed one than it is to swap the gearbox, if you want to make sure that is ;D ;)

When we say WE what do we mean ?  Was one or  is one connected with General Motors in one way or another ?

He worked there when the nova sports were still being sold, so he would have built some in his time at the dealers! I'm sure Chutney will explain a bit more in depth than me! :Ha

Guest evesham

that'll be my first job then, selector rod/gear knob and sundry attatched items from a 1.6lx? 1.8?

regarding wheels and suspension i have the 13" from a Cavbriolet which hold the road well and seem not to need changing (even running KELLY Chargers on the front and FAULKENs on the back??). Suspension wise i would like a bit less roll on the corners and less 'lol' in general but not too far... i'm already famed for having the baggiest comfiest car and i don't want to jeapordise that too much!!

would a nova SR 1.3/1.4 bolt straight in with not too much hassle? i have the pierburg carb type....

Yeh nova 1.4 will drop straight in you could also go down the 1.4se from mk3 astra with multi point injection & yes i used to work for vauxhall all nova sports were dealer built you used to get a white nova delivered with a big box of bits

• 2 months later...
Guest topcoat

Hi i work with Magpie and thought i'd have a look...! Had a hand in spraying a caliber not so long back with Magpie ! Used to work on vauxhalls in the eighties at Anna valley..... Made me feel young again ! Ha ha

Hi i work with Magpie and thought i'd have a look...! Had a hand in spraying a caliber not so long back with Magpie ! Used to work on vauxhalls in the eighties at Anna valley..... Made me feel young again ! Ha ha

That'll be this one then ;D ;D ;D

1520gd.th.jpg