Sal's Calibra

sal

Hi john it's a 2.0 on an L plate and is the earlier front without "V" grill. I thought all the earlier 16v's were XE's but this one's an ecotec so must be one of the first with the XEV?

I had to repair a split fuel pipe before I set off and it had a bit of a misfire under load which improved after a few miles.  Needs a good service, hand brake cable seems not to be attached to lever and I need to trace oil leak.

Overall it's a bit rough but it's mostly all there and hasn't been messed around with too much.

image.thumb.jpeg.1220e1b25825b7f34aeb72c

The original lights are in boot and will be fitted in place of the LED's

image.thumb.jpeg.0b93b07efb301007157cd42

Dodgy wheels will be replaced with a good set of Vauxhall wheels

image.thumb.jpeg.105138fb40b376749a1c502

Couple marks at front and lights may be a bit dullimage.thumb.jpeg.ba7dd895f5074238f04531a

Nice blue gaiters are heading for bin

image.thumb.jpeg.b59f4c6869add4ad4779046

interior is fairly clean although headlining needs stuck again in a few places.

image.jpeg

It was local and cheap so it's worth sorting out what it needs and I'll find some use for it. 

Edited by sal

9 hours ago, Jonny said:

Not a fan of calibra's sorry  Sal but love your dedication ?

Fair comment mate. I've always had a soft spot for them. Used one as a daily about 15 years ago. 

6 hours ago, Matt O-SRi said:

Very nice Sal. A Calibra has been on my list for a while now. Was it pricey? 

Cheap as chips Matt. Seller almost gave it to me as only other interest he had was from guys wanting to break it.  It's got about 4 months mot and shouldn't be too much work for next one. 

1 hour ago, Richie said:

I had a white one a few years ago, was a v6 but the previous owner couldnt scrap it as the body was perfect, so he put a xe in it, was a nice motor but was only a stop gap for me.

The body isn't too bad on this one too. Not by any means perfect but a bit of work will see it good again and I reckon it's still got some miles left in it. 

Still a few autos around for not a lot of money. 

Had a look at the brakes earlier and they are a work of art. Rear discs are smaller than they should be and have been red rilled, badly, to fit. Front discs are not a matching pair. Passenger one I'm not even sure is from a Vauxhall. 

Just as well I have a sense of humour :)

Yeah passenger disc looks completely different. Couldn't get Vauxhall alloy on as centre of disc was too broad in diameter. Cars been in the hands of a top notch bodger at some point. 

Wont be a daily mate I prefer modern comforts and need reliable transport for work.  I'll get it running right and looking better and see what I want to do from there.   How's the mk2 hunt going?  I noticed an early spec beige cavalier for sale on Facebook earlier?

10 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said:

Still, discs/pads are pretty cheap.

Sounds a really good purchase.

That's the thing I was thinking earlier. Who would bodge brakes when you can pick the parts up so cheaply?

You could actually save me a headache if you don't mind John. The boot lock is temperamental and I know it works as previous owner opened it but I don't have the knack. Can you tell me how the lock positions work?  I assume it's locked with key vertical and it turns clockwise and presses in to release?

Always liked the Calibra, have fond memories of being a passenger in a new Turbo driven by a then work colleague chasing and sticking with ease to a Sapphire Cosworth, happy days. If i remember he sold his Astra GTE 16V and had a large eye watering bank loan to buy it but it sure did shift.

• CLUB REP
4 hours ago, sal said:

That's the thing I was thinking earlier. Who would bodge brakes when you can pick the parts up so cheaply?

You could actually save me a headache if you don't mind John. The boot lock is temperamental and I know it works as previous owner opened it but I don't have the knack. Can you tell me how the lock positions work?  I assume it's locked with key vertical and it turns clockwise and presses in to release?

Got a flat battery atm so can't check. These are from the manual. Do you need a manual?

IMG_7850.JPG

IMG_7851.JPG

IMG_7848.JPG

• Like 1

GreyDJ:. That's exactly the info I was after thank you :). If you have a spare manual yeah I'd be interested. Just let me know what it costs. 

Matt:. I sent you text with photos etc. 

Steven:. I'll update occasionally as I do a few bits to the car. I'll also get some photos of the brakes when I change them as they are a bit special :)