Hello I'm New - Got a Cav Mk II LX 4 Door Saloon Manual 1988

CavMKII1988LX

Hello Everyone,

First post on here.

I have always had Vauxhalls and have had 3 Vivas, Cav Mk I , Vectra etc

I have a lovely Blue Cav Mk II LX 4 Door Saloon Manual 1988 which used to be my friend from new so im second keeper and its only done 53,000 miles. I have had it since 2002. Its as she was no mods. Shes great underneaith with no welding.

its had sort of fatory fitted alloys and facorty sun roof and sort of recrado hug seats - got a Piranna Alarm too

I love the car but in a delima and wondered if you guys can advise me.

I have esp in last three years mainly kept it sorn. Previous to that I only drove it once a week to get her to running temp.

Just recently had it serviced and checked brakes and checked over, antifreeze etc. Mechnically its perfect no leaks and body work is OK not a shinney as its once was though .

My problem is that I have a company car and my wife has here own car and I dont have much spare money to pay road tax and insurance and MOT.  I know it would pass an MOT.

note Car has a 4 cm line bit of rust on a wheel arch I just put rust killer on and will fill it and prime just to explain its condition

I please ask you guy

a) How much is my car worth?

B) Will it increase in value if i keep to 25 years and beyond?

C) have any of you guys kept a car of the road for 5 years and was and it that Ok on the car?

d) if things do start to go worng can i still get spoares?

After 25 years

e) Do i soon get free road tax?

f) Do I get free conjestion charge for London?

I notice most old cavs are SRI, Cabros, so does this make mine a bit rare? Does anyone go for these simple 4 door LX salooons?

Thanks very much and sorry for all the questions

Cal

a) With no MoT then its worth peanuts (virtuallly scrap value) unfortunately but with 12 months MoT then £1000 is about it in all honesty.

B) It will probably increase in value slightly but a car of this type will never be an investment.

c) If it has been off the road for a few years it may well need re-commisioning, tyres, brake fluid etc. A couple of hundred pounds to do it yourself is a fair estimate.

d) General running/service parts are readily available. Some more major parts could be a bit of a challenge.

e) There are no plans that I am aware to make this car eligible for free road tax.

f) As its a petrol car there are no plans for congestion charge exclusion planned for it.

Cheers Mark Thank you so much for being so kind to explain that to me

Yeah I did all that and it cost me £170 inc the service parts we checked the breaks front and back also changed most of the break fluid if not all of it when we checked the breaks.

You made me a bit happier now I know its up to a grand in value - cheers - we buy any car gave me a quote on line of £50 quid!!!

is may car rare though? as its a normal 4 door LX Saloon? most of the mk 2 i see are sri or covertable ones

i hope to be able to answer some of your questions thecav lx is getting a bit thin on the ground especially in saloon form it depends how attached you to her the best option if funds are limited is to only use her for 6 months of the year in summer insure her on a classic car policy i recomend lancasters i only use my ascona from april through to to september and the cdi as a daily driver it on cost me £93 fully comp for the ascona with a 3000 mile limit and £112 for 6 months road tax we don't usually get involved in the how much is it worth debates except went some dealer buys a cav cheap and then trys to sell it at a vastly inflated price the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it if you do keep the car then joining the club is £15 well spent as it will give you access to lots of friendly advice and difficult to source parts hope this answers some of your questions

oh and as for webuyanycar.com offering you £50 for your cav tell them to politley f**k off  ;D ;D

Hi kensascona

Yeah they can get stuffed I aint letting them hav it fgor £50 quid - they must think im mad - I'm like it here i'll prob jopin up soon

your a very freindly lot and i can see from alot of posts your help each other out

cheers for the advice - i'll keep the car and do a 6 months at a time on it

perhaps one day it might be the only 4 door LX "saloon" on the road left and i'll be rich

Does anyone know an insurance co that will do 6 months insurance please ??

perhaps one day it might be the only 4 door LX "saloon" on the road left and i'll be rich

To be honest, it's one of only a very small number of LX's in existence already!!! And, being a Saloon, it's ever rarer!!!

If you can, I would definitely try to keep it! It may never increase much from where it's valued now, but who knows.....I mean, look at the Price of Cortinas as an example......they fetch crazy money these days, even for base models!

In terms of desirability, the LX and LXi have always been one of my fave models.......the interior to me, is the best in any late MK2 but with the smaller engines, they are cheaper to run and insure than the SRi. I remember spending forever trying to find a good LX when I was younger, due to being like an SRi in terms of looks, but cheaper on insurance. I'd buy it if I had the space, but on a mission to sell cars at the mo and not buy more lol

Wow! What a lovely motor! :) I have a thing for blue cavs, and yours in no exception!

I'd try and keep her if I was you, she'll bring you years of pleasure even if you only bring her out/tax her in the summer. I have a cav I do that with.

Saloon and Hatch

Base, L, GL, GLS and CD 1.3/1.6/1.8/2.0 Not quoted

LX OTR 25 SORN 38

LXi OTR 10 SORN 6

SR OTR 6 SORN 2

Saloon

SRi 1.8 OTR 25 SORN 20

SRi 2.0 and SRi130 OTR 46 SORN 23

Calibre OTR 21 SORN 24

Hatch

SRi 1.8 OTR 65 SORN 39

SRi 2.0 and SRi130 OTR 59 SORN 34

Cabriolet

OTR 182 SORN 184

What would Gordon do?

STUNNING STUNNING AND DID I SAY STUNNING?

Love it, keep it, cherish it!

And I agree with Neil......there will be a queue for this if you do decide to sell and I'll be in it  ;D

P.S. Just noticed is an F-plate.......which means even more rarity, for any MK2Cav!!!

• 6 months later...