New member in Scotland

Jamesieboy

Hi all, I am a new member how has just registered here. I have just bought a Cavalier mk2 which I intend to have as my eveyday car. My first experience of these cars goes back to when I was a kid, my uncle Bill (not really an uncle but back then kids called most grown up friends of their parents uncle or aunt lol). He had an A reg blue one I remeber it being keptin what I believe was the old dairy room on his farm. My dad was promised it when he got his new car, but unfortunately it was written off just 6 weeks before he was due to get it :(.

Hi all, I am a new member how has just registered here. I have just bought a Cavalier mk2 which I intend to have as my eveyday car. My first experience of these cars goes back to when I was a kid, my uncle Bill (not really an uncle but back then kids called most grown up friends of their parents uncle or aunt lol). He had an A reg blue one I remeber it being keptin what I believe was the old dairy room on his farm. My dad was promised it when he got his new car, but unfortunately it was written off just 6 weeks before he was due to get it :(.

Welcome aboard pal  :)

mat_o_sig.jpg

1984 Cav SRi MK2 Hatchback | 1999 1.8 Mazda MX5 Cabby

Thanks for the warm welcome guys  :) . Will post some pics asap just picked it up today, was on ebay so you might have seen. It is a 16 gl advertisd as a barn find, it wasn't mot'd when I went to see it. While cosmetically not the best the structure is really sound, been well looked after below. Advirtised at £1495 maybe a bit steep for a car with no mot but something just tells me and my dad its a good'un. Deal was done we would buy it but the seller would mot it for us, we would pay the cost (might sound mad but hey thats us lol). The seller thenknocked off £95 for us. That was last Sunday,  Monday night get call "changed oil, filter, topped up gear box oil, serviced brakes and it passed with not even an advisory". Hmm enough waffling on finish the tale off later.  So thanks Matt o-sri, chris M, and Cavvypogo I live at the other end of the GSO from you (to those who won't know what that is, its the Glasgow south orbital) Newton Mearns mate  :)

Thanks Chris, think it was a good deal, needs work but plenty potential. Good solid base to start from. Left the local train station at 9:06 and arrived in Newcastle at 12:45 the seller picked us up from the train station and took us to the car. Done the paperwork,  taxed it on line, left Newcastle around 2:00. Nice gentle drive back home and arrived just after 6:00 pm (with stops). Car drove great, never missed a beat. Did seem a bit lack luster on hills and that but maybe just needs plugs and points etc changed.

Main plan is to restore to look original, but to also adapt it to make it more useable. Add power steering and something like the stealth electronic ignition system etc. It will replace a Rover 45 as my everyday car, Rovers good car but like the older cars and mk2 Cavvys are great cars. Will see about joining up proper and starting a project thread. Plenty to do.

Your best bet for pics is something like photobucket, put your pictures on there and then copy and paste the image code on to here. Bit of an arse to set up and get going but once your into it, its very quick and easy. Remember pictures count for a lot because we don't believe anything that anyone says unless its backed up by pictures.  ;)

Have a look through some of the project threads and you'll get the idea. Whatever, there's plenty of people on here to help with both posting and fixing up / getting the best out of your cav.  :)

• SITE MODERATOR

Welcome to the site, glad to see another mk2 getting the love they deserve 8)

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

Thanks Andy and Andyf, you never know you just might. Every year I already go down to the Staffordshire and surrounding area, to the Avenger and Sunbeam owners club national weekend. Bought cars as far south as Poole and Hayles so distance no object lol. Where abouts is it you live?

Matt "nice save there" (don't know how to do the fancy quote thing yet lol) thanks  :). Not sure about the wheels will post a picture on here when computer stops being a nuisance. See you say its one of your fave colours maybe you can help me, the paint code is 73L but when I looked it up online it says its bordeaux red listed as 88-92 in pearlescent. My car is an 84 and quite certain its a solid colour. Thanks for the welcome Greg  :). Hope to get more pics up later tonight.

Thanks for the kind offer Matt, but the problem is down loading them from my camera to computer lol. Sd card slot has stopped working on computer and my camera won't let me download from it. Jan the man your spot on, we done some light repair work and sprayed it with red oxide to protect it and the match is uncanny lol. Sorry for not updating sooner but really busy working on the car. Will do full update at weekend hopefully, and with pics all going well.

• SITE MODERATOR

It looks pretty solid.  Have you checked the chassis legs?  They need a whack as they rot from inside out.

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)