Jump to content
MK2CAV.COM
GreyDJ2

VBOA 2019 options and opinions thread

Recommended Posts

Billing have given us two options as to how we, as VBOA, organise the event. They can be summed up as a low input, similar (but not the same) with Billing taking the money as before or a VBOA organised event (similar to the way Land Rover did it) when we pay up front, do much more organising with potentially attractive financial benefits to both the VBOA and our Club.

VBOA have made it clear that they want the of members of the affiliated clubs to have an input. I will need to have our decision at the start of November.

This post will grow as I put what happened this morning into writing.

Edited by GreyDJ2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any more information on this please so we can start discussing it before chinese whispers take hold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am holding back at the moment to try to understand wtf is going on. At the meeting on Sunday the two alternatives I mentioned above were given to us and we voted to adopt the second but the vote was close so it was agreed to allow reps to consult with their clubs and not to put info on it on social media, just club sites

One club, Cavalier and Chevette, has thrown a spanner into the works by circulating an attack on one of the options to an old email list (I didn't get it Andy did) and I don't know why they have done it.

I am waiting for clarification from VBOA before I put more up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Option one sucks no way I’ll leave my cars out of sight with the little scrotes about 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have seen the VDC post above which was the basic information of the presentation given by VBOA to the club reps last Sunday. The following is my comments based on it which has also been circulated by VBOA.

 

Over the past couple of years VBOA there has been a changing of the guard at VBOA. We now have a very active committee and some new highly active Web oriented clubs reaching out very successfully into Vauhall land, leading the organisation to consider new ways of moving forward.

The Committee have negotiated with Billing who have offered us two options for our event. In summary, a retail type low VBOA input event (similar to but not the same as before) with Billing taking the money or a wholesale VBOA/clubs high input event (similar to the way Land Rover did it) with up front payment. Details of both are below.

As this is probably one of the biggest organisational and financial risk decisions for the VBOA and voting on the options at the meeting was close, the VBOA reps decided that they should go back and consult their clubs. This is part of that process and I will need to have your views in the next week or so.

First, what follows is based on the information presented at the VBOA meeting last Sunday and is subject to change.

Second and this point is vital, whichever option is selected and for different reasons, the days of booking tickets within the last couple of months of the event have probably gone.

OPTION 1 Billing run administration

This is administratively similar to the 'old' way of running things. Booking through Billing with pricing much as before. Gate control and security by Billing.

However that is where the similarity stops as operationally it is quite different in that there will be a vehicle only 'show' area, effectively the central block of the site with Mk2Cav old area top right. This will be divided up as now by VBOA into club areas where our cars will be during the day. This is about 21 acres.

Camping will be in the surrounding blocks which have been divided up by Billing into pitches, with and without electricity. Unless left there overnight, cars will need to be moved into the show area each morning. The Autojumble will be in the same place as before and selling from a car boot on a stand will not be allowed. This could be a very different show experience to that which we have been used to.

If this option is selected, VBOA will, as soon as possible, notify clubs which pitch numbers are closest to their area so that members can purchase those pitches. Bear in mind that there may be unrelated members of the public nearby or even potentially in the area so early booking is vital to maintain a club's contiguous area. Definitely advisable to book by the end of the year.

OPTION 2 VBOA and Club run administration

In exchange for an advance payment by VBOA, funded by its member clubs,  Billing will rent the exclusive use of the whole of the central block plus surrounding camping areas which we can use the totality of as a car/camping area. This is about 27 acres as against our approx 29 acres at Market Harborough'.

The rental period is Friday to Monday inclusive to VBOA for £35,000, paid in 4 instalments by the start of April. On top of that there will be some VBOA admin costs plus potential extra event costs like funding of gate control and some security so say £40,000 in round numbers. Then, dividing that total by the total number of spaces requested by the clubs the VBOA gets a price per space to allocate back to the clubs as per their request. That will then be the amount that the clubs will HAVE to pay VBOA on very tight advance schedule. As the first payment is due on signing the agreement, giving the clubs virtually no chance to collect their contributions, VBOA will lend out of its reserves that first payment recovering it from the clubs.

This is a huge change as it imposes financial risks and a new workload on both VBOA and clubs. Once we have committed to the space we will be on the hook for the money and we will have to chip in with some volunteer support , both should be interesting! There is however the potential for cost savings since we will be effectively getting the wholesale price for our area and we will have flexibility as to how we recover that cost.

My estimate is that the raw VBOA space cost to a club will be around £40/50 per car/tent for the 4 days. We will then need to add our costs and work out how to spread the total over campers and day visitors. Due to this, whilst there will be probably be a VBOA RRP, it is likely that clubs will have different price lists for their members. However, whichever way you look at it it should be cheaper than Option 1. We have to work on the basis of paying 50% by end December, 40% end January and 10% end March. As before you have to be a member to be on our stand and to gain our pricing.

Conclusion

So we have two polar opposite options, the first the same administratively as the old Billing but with a totally different layout and operation, the second with brand new administration and probable reduced costs for many but a layout and operation that we are all familiar with.

Comments please.

Regardless of option we also need to know:

1. What is the chance of you coming and camping and the number of nights?

2. What is the chance of you coming on a day trip?

Thanks

John

Edited by GreyDJ2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said:

1. What is the chance of you coming and camping and the number of nights?

2. What is the chance of you coming on a day trip?

1)  for many reasons .... none  ,  I will  say a lot of this mainly do with not being able to book near the time of the event. which is a shame as I have attended over 10 years and would normally do Thursday to Monday evening at MH

2) no 

Edited by steffi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, steffi said:

1)  for many reasons .... none  ,  I will  say a lot of this mainly do with not being able to book near the time of the event. which is a shame as I have attended over 10 years and would normally do Thursday to Monday evening at MH

2) no 

I’m the same due to ongoing health issues and not working at present I can’t connit this early, it was a day before mh that I fealt well enough to attend this year it’s gutting that the one show a year I’ve always looked forward to looks like a no go for me next year, maybe a campsite near retro for the night before as a get together like previous years to get me fix of Steffi banter is called for 😂👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the 2nd option will  we be camping on club stands or by cars or still in designated camp areas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, newbody said:

With the 2nd option will  we be camping on club stands or by cars or still in designated camp areas

Exactly the same as in past years at Billing, plus I hope in the same spot but probably a bit smaller if we do get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem, ask away.

Basically the main difference to the 'old days' is in the administration prior to the event not the event itself. The changes to the event are due to the loss of some areas, but gain in other, leading to a need for a more accurate estimate on space needed. So that huge stand next to us will definitely shrink!

I think its the large 'general' clubs like them, MIG, VxON etc that are suffering in all aspects. Targetted clubs like us, Calibra and endless Astra clubs less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok if it was not camping on club stands by  car like old days (option 1) then it would have been a definite no from me as I attend for the social side of things  more than the cars 😀😀😀 but like to be near it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most prob 3 nights fri sat sun subject to costing and camping on club stand and not having to state what vehicle when booking cause at minute cav is still in bits 😂😂🤣

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beauty of Option 2, once the shock of the change has passed, is that the operational admin is ours so we can almost certainly be more flexible than it has been in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If lmf was the issue, why does the vboa not approach mh to rent the showground or a portion of it and then hire in facilities as required. Mh definitely had a festival feel about it and i wouldnt trust billing management not to do the same again in the future. It seems that the better billing option for us gives vboa most control over the event resulting in more admin work anyhow. Is mh not cheaper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LMF is in MH and is a real company with fulltime employees (and family!) with access to contacts in the area. VBOA is a club made up of group of reps from multi clubs, it has no contacts in that area, is run by unpaid volunteers and is not set up to do anything really major like that. We also have no idea what the actual costs of MH were, that was down to LMF.

Also there was a risk that if the showground as a whole was not a success the landowner may have decided to do something else with the land. At least this time there would be a long term contract with Billing, something we did not have before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chris m said:

Could get expensive if you dont turn up in a cav Jason!

Interesting point, we could premium price the 'bad boys' non Cav corner :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He already said he'd pay my billing entrance fee for 5 years if he didnt come in a cav....i got off a little lighter in that i only have to pay his for five years if i dont turn up at all, ie no cav required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair point....billing management make me nervous thats all. For us ots about cars, for them its about money and if something more lucrative came up, could we get dropped again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Posts

    • Looking good. You can never have enough protection on the underneath. As the last task before it gets turned back get wax into all the cavities, drill holes into those that don't already have them with plastic plugs to seal them again. If you are putting power steering in don't forget to reinforce that area
    • Painted and covered with stone protection. Im going to add another layer of paint on top of it, that is when im done sanding the inside of the car, and painted that with primers. 
    • agreed those wheels do look poor without the centre caps on.
    • Just a very quick update - am having starting issues, which I think is ignition switch related, rather than a goosed starter or solenoid, as both seemed to work OK when removed, cleaned and re-tested. Anyway, I'm really busy with work at the moment and spending more time away from home than usual but hopefully I'll manage to get the issue sorted before it's 2019!   The reason I've posted up again is because there's been a rather significant cosmetic improvement:   Before     After!   I must admit, a set of SRi wheels without the centre caps is possibly one of the worst looking things in my opinion, so I was very glad that some very kind soul on here PM'd me with an offer of posting out a set of five to me! They weren't even interested in actual payment, either, rather just postage costs covering and a donation to an organisation close to their heart. I won't reveal the kind member, as I'd hate for them to be inundated with requests of free stuff from others! All joking aside, I never discussed whether I would or wouldn't give their name, hence the decision. I've got to say though, it's overwhelming the amount of support I've had from members on here in such a short amount of time. I'll be sure to keep you posted on progress in return but like I say, it may take a while. Anyway, there's been plenty of other Cavalier bits winging their way over from the UK in the past couple of months, so I can't wait to get stuck in. And I didn't just receive the centre caps from the generous donator but more of the other item some other time!
    • why do you think i bought the estate i couldn't fit my cave in the hatch
    • I know you lot down Haverfordwest are a bit backward but tents are cheap enough and taking a cave to sleep in seems a bit old fashioned 😂
    • The way the VBOA have handled this has been appalling. Newbody you're not alone in your feeling. I will say that neither options for billing were suitable for various reasons and to be fair the new venue looks good.
    • The chairman of Vboa isn't relayed to Billy Smart is he ???   Because this reminds me of a 3 ringed circus 🤣🤣🤣
    • Plot twist this has more drama then some TV soaps!!!   
    • The first I knew was an email at 21.40 that I read half an hour ago. Sounds as if it could have some potential from an initial read. This is it. Good Evening,   For the purpose of clarification, when the term “we” is used, it is to refer to the VBOA committee of the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and the Event organisation sub-committee. Please read this all the way to the end as there is quite a lot to digest.   Voting on the Billing Options The voting and feedback from the two Billing options has been received and of those clubs who responded there is an even split between Option 1 and Option 2, with further feedback from some that neither is tenable resulting in a desire to not show at all.   Outcome of the feedback/vote With the results in mind, and taking into account the feedback received from individuals both on social media and direct to this email address, we have deemed it vital to seek out an alternative venue that carries neutral allegiance. To some, this will be viewed as a non-democratic decision, but we feel that attending either Billing or Market Harborough would damage the VBOA and its associated clubs in such a way that recovery would be very difficult. The venue that we have visited, discussed with the management and decided upon is Sywell Aerodrome (http://sywellaerodrome.co.uk/, Hall Farm, Sywell, Northamptonshire, NN6 0BN). This venue has held several automotive events each year, with a prime example being the Sywell classic also known as props and pistons which would be the closest representation to the VBOA National Rally.   Goal of the VBOA Show The prime goal for this is to take all the good from Billing and Market Harborough and improve on the not so good (toilets being the most obvious one). We also want to try and bring the general public/car fanatics in, so an element of rebranding will be carried out to step on from the term rally implying a motorsport event to a motor show. The identity of the VBOA National Rally shall not be lost, merely built upon to take it to a new level   Venue/Show concept We are looking to hire the venue exclusively for our use for the 5th-7th July 2019, where we will use at least two of the hangers (one is a bar/band area and carpeted), and the other can be for the auto jumble/trade stands so as to protect from any inclement weather. We also intend to make use of the concrete pan for the arena/food vendors akin to previous years which seemed to achieve the festival vibe that has been mentioned. Furthermore we intend to make use of the taxi way to have a 0-60/drag activity, this could also be a part of the parade lap should the desire be there.   The attached maps are a high level first pass at how the show could be laid out and given the space available, you would get the same stand sizes and setup (camping on stands) you have enjoyed in previous years. The only exception to this may be that if electric hook-ups are needed for things like caravans, then this would be in a single location with a limited number of pitches available. The space available for the show between the Arena and the far fence, to the North East, (or even the little roadway in from the entrance) is comparable to the area we had at Market Harborough. We do not have a layout for stands as yet but this will be high on the list of things to do and this will come out in time. Also attached is an image from the LAA show there which is focussed on aircraft, but it shows an aerial shot of just what is possible there. As this is an Aerodrome and not a purpose built camp/leisure facility, we will need to supply a myriad of things such as toilets/showers/PR/food vendors/entertainment/security and so on, if YOU or YOUR members can assist in the supply of this or anything else then please come forwards, this show will only be as good as we can all make it so the more involvement the merrier.   Hotel We understand that many of you and your members have already booked rooms at the hotel at Billing. Billing is approx. 10 Minutes away from Sywell, and we would look to put on a bus service of some sort for the weekend if the demand is high enough. Sywell have a 59 Room hotel on site, they have fixed their prices at £79/Night with breakfast at £8.50/Person. As they only have 59 Rooms, we suggest you book sooner rather than later, also do this direct with them and NOT Booking.com (http://www.aviatorhotel.co.uk/contact.php or 01604 642111)   Entry costs Now, the costs (some of these will be subject to change) Day entry for VBOA members (1 car + 4 people) will be no more than £10/day and working on a weekend entry pass too. Day Entry for General Public (1 car + 4 people) £15/Day Camping would be sold as a Friday-Monday (1 car + 4 people) at approx. £45 Additional car costs will be considered and information will be released but will be favourable. We are looking at options of early bird pricing and also giving 1 weekend camping pass per club as we used to have at Billing. This booking process would be using a dedicated booking agent that links directly to the VBOA.   Support As has been mentioned, there is and will be quite a lot to do to make any show at any venue work, even if we were back at a purpose built site for this type of thing, so we need your help. Helping does not mean you or your members are stuck with a job/task for life, it means that you have helped to make the show as good as can be. I have seen a sign in my local rugby club that says “before you complain, have you volunteered to help?”, I think this is a very valid and wholesome approach to anything like this.   There is of course much more to plan, prepare and do prior to the show and this is only the start of all the information that will come out, but it is everything we know at this present time.   Kind Regards   Stuart Lindborg Vice Chairman – On behalf of the VBOA Committee and Event Sub-Committee.  
  • Blog Entries

×