made in belgium

smc

• CLUB ADMIN

the kits were imported to bolster numbers, the belgium shells are mainly the earlier ones, and the steel grade does seem to be better, but also early cavs dont have the propensity for their dashes to sink from the windscreen and go tto flimsy cardboar like the later ones do. It's not just SR's its all cavs except the estate which were not available in europe. Unless anyone has an estate made in belgium i dont know about?

Guest zero-defects
why were sris/sri130s imported from belgium when they were made in GB. as well ?

Both my C reg 1.8i Cavs (I sold one) were made in Belguim, and I was convinced that the first had been repaired cause the bonnet slam panel (front panel was black and not body colour.  But apparently all the ones from Belguim are like that.

Guest Chalkey

as far as i was aware the fuel injected cars from 84-86 had black slam panels, once the 87 model was introduced they reverted back to body colour....

I could be wrong, but that's how i think it went

• CLUB ADMIN

I'd say the steel generally seems stronger on them too, i think the paint process would be roughly the same due to GM's massive structure and for continuity - but the sources of steel could be vastly different depending on market conditions at the time, but apart from steel they just seem a bit better put together than the Luton ones.

Guest Chalkey
apparently belgium cars were made from better steel,apparently??????

It was well know in the dealers i worked at that the belguim cars were better built, not only rust prevention but also they were better put together, they didn't squeak like the british ones did.

From 87 model year it does seem that most of the cars seemed to be british built, up until then it was an equal split, given the fact that the belgium cars seem to have better quality material they seem to have stood the test of time and so more of them seem to be on the road these days..........

I think it comes down to how the car has been looked after ive got one of each & i cant realy say that one is better in build or rust prevention or anything for that matter it realy comes down to the same as any car the ones that are cared for will stand the test of time

I think it comes down to how the car has been looked after ive got one of each & i cant realy say that one is better in build or rust prevention or anything for that matter it realy comes down to the same as any car the ones that are cared for will stand the test of time

Yea its all do to how they have been looked after to I seen a rotten Belgium one one time :o

My GL is made in GB and it is immaculate :o

My 130 is made in Belgium and its immaculate  ;)

• 1 month later...