ANYONE INTERESTED IN RESTORING A 1982 1600 AUTO MK2 CAVALIER

sadloser

well mr matt, for the last few ive seen they have had rust around the sunroof, i am talkin about the cheap ones tho, not saying all early ones are, certanly the last 3 have. ive only been mega wanting a mk2 again the last couple months tho. so there lol

imo all mk2 cavs need saving now, there are so little left, is it me or are there a lot more mk1s? it seems that way.

its been a while since i had a 8v vx engine, but ive had the belmont 1.8 since april and its been so relible, even when i replaced it in oct thinking it would need a bit for mot (with a reno that broke down a lot) it ended up going straight through the mot lol fingerds crossed bmw and reno are going which gives me 2 spaces to have some cav fun.

well unfortunatly i live in the sticks, there is no on road parking at all, i only have space for 6 cars but have 7 sqeezed on, so fingers crossed this time i wont be messed around with the bmw and it will go, giving me room for it. everyone local is too stuck up to let me park a car there, its all country estates.

but, its very much what i need, esp if it comes with new mot.

i always seem to need space for one more lol i had 12 but when i bought this place i had to get rid of loads, if you look on members map you will see i live in middle of nowhere, but theres 3 familys that own teh land around me and they all think im the devil. even tho one daughter is the biggest coke head ever lol

Hi folks,

Thanks for the interest. I really appreciate your help saving this old lady but I have no idea what value to place on her. You'll need to see her in the flesh (or should I say metal!) and take a ride to assess how sweet the engine runs. Then you'll be able to gauge her value to you.

Rear seat is a single unit. I'll take some more pics of the interior Wednesday when I get her out for her weekly run and pass them over to Matt for assistance in posting.

Welding work will be done over the weekend so I'll know then how much my final investment in her future has set me back. I'll post another note when the new MOT cert is in my hands.

Precise location is Letchworth Garden City, just off of the A1(M).

What does a single piece seat mean? Is it just the cars are older?

It means the whole back seat comes down in one go. The other type is a split rear seat 60,40. This means the back seats can come down individually or together, obviously one being slightly larger than the other side cause there split 60,40. Only the VERY early cars had one piece rear seats.

See Dawn, THIS is why you have to restore your GLS  ;) ;D

Anyhow here are some more piccies from Mike......

[img width=740 height=555]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/MattO-SRi_2009/greenhatch6.jpg

[img width=740 height=555]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/MattO-SRi_2009/greenhatch7.jpg

[img width=740 height=555]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/MattO-SRi_2009/greenhatch8.jpg

[img width=740 height=555]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/MattO-SRi_2009/greenhatch9.jpg

Love this pic! Could be 1980's Tescos  ;D

[img width=740 height=555]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/MattO-SRi_2009/greenhatch10.jpg

[img width=740 height=555]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/MattO-SRi_2009/greenhatch11.jpg

I'm working on it lol! I have one place coming out to take a look Saturday, and I've just been asking a more local place today about it, too. Andy suggested I talk to Magpie, but I think he's 3 or 4 hours away from me, which is probably too far.

It all boils down to cost - and really the car needs stripping down to basics to do it properly - which I expect will cost a bob or two.

If it can't be done, then I'll be looking for something like this GL that will at least have a ticket while its worked on, but for now, I'm still hopeful the old fella can be fixed at this point.

Should know more after the weekend.

• SITE MODERATOR

This looks fairly solid, I'm not interested but has anyone seen this in person?

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

Thanks, Matt, for posting the pics. If anyone wants close up shots of any part of the car to assess external issues, I'll be happy to respond.

The nearside rear wheel arch (if that's the correct term) looks bad but we had this quarter panel plated some years ago (I'm talking just before true 4 star petrol was discontinued) and the two layers have separated with the corrosion. I put some filler between the two layers a couple of years ago before the MOT as I've had a car (not MayHeM, as we call her) which failed because of sharp edges protruding from just such a spot.

If anyone wants details of what's been replaced over the years, I'll be happy to post.

Finally, my insurance on the vehicle runs until the latter part of June and I'll be happy to continue to own the vehicle until that time if someone has a space or other logistics problem. I'll mean we celebrate our silver anniversary! Can anyone out there beat that for a relationship with the same Mark 2?

Welding complete and MOT secured so have taxed it and will await developments.

Thought that if I were to put it on eBay today I would put it on with a starting bid of c£300 as from what I've learnt from your responses is that this early model is a rarity. Would prefer that someone from this club takes on the project so as mentioned previously am happy to wait whilst matters coalesce. Just need some confirmation that there is interest out there.

hi mate, im definatly interested, at this moment its literaly just the space, i really dont want to end up scrapping my bmw but ive now been messed around for the 4th time (even had a deposit this time) im going to have a ebay session next week tho.

your cav is pretty much what i was looking for albeit a gl not gls hardly something to worry about, its a early one the right colour with the greeness! 

im going to islington in couple weeks maybe i could pop over and have a look?

I'm still waiting quotes on my own Cav, and I know that doesn't help you make a quick sale, but if mine isn't affordable to fix, I'll be more than interested if you atill have this, as I can only drive autos and I'd like another early one.

I'm just playing a torturous waiting game right now while repairers get prices for stuff etc... :( I've owned mine almost as long as you, so I'd like that fixing if I can, but if I can't, yours would be assured a good home.

I just can't say anything yet. *sighs*

Hi Dawn/Pirate,

Thanks for the expressions of interest. I'm not concerned about a quick sale (as mentioned earlier my next decision point is June when I have to decide whether to renew my insurance). Happy to house and continue to run the car. Principal goal is to pass the car onto someone with a passion for both the marque and for Mayhem in all its greenness. Happy for either of you to pay a visit to assess the task ahead in restoring. Suggest you email me rather than pm or post a request on this thread.