VBOA 2021 Sywell CHAT Thttps://www.mk2cav.com/topic/23182-vboa-2021-sywell-chat-thread-2nd3rd4th-july/HREAD 2nd/3rd/4th July

GreyDJ2

• CLUB REP

ONLY FOR 54 PEOPLE!!

FOOTBALL UPDATE
we have agreed a deal with sywell to have the England V Ukraine in the BAR BAR on Saturday night. There are a 9 tables of 6 available and they will be on a first come first served basis. Drinks are table service only. Masks must be worn unless seated and COVID restrictions are in place. Please make sure if there is a queue to get in that you remain 2 metres apart. Hand sanitiser must be used on the entrance.

• SITE MODERATOR
16 minutes ago, C20Brett said:

Book us a table John!! 

We will need a few tables......

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

Nice to see people I’ve not seen for 10 years, YES 10 years before it went pear shaped! 😂

Sorry I left without saying goodbye/saying hello to the Saturday folk, had a phone call to come home and sort a small issue. All good though 👍

See you next time………….🤷‍♂️ 😎

29 minutes ago, chris m said:

Great to catch up again, see you next time....you just need a cav now

Yh, but not on bricks! 😂 Sorry, seeing you reminded me of the absolute hilarity of that thread from years ago! 🤣 👍 

• SITE MODERATOR

What a class weekend, thanks to all for making the effort.  Will get some piccies up soon.

Special mentions for all the LX(i) contingent to provide mine with moral support to get there (need to update my thread with all the crazy stuff to get sorted before the MOT to get Paul in the England shirt) and Andy for the convoy run up (to assist with break downs).

• Like 1

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

• CLUB ADMIN
On 02/07/2021 at 19:59, Biz said:

No 50 shades as the piece of s**t car has decided to seize it front calipers.

apologies but stupid old cars……

Gutted for all involved! At least there is next year. Let me know if you need any help getting it up the road after Paul has looked after it. Be good to find time for a proper catch up. Sorry we didn't get time to chat longer on Sunday!

• CLUB MEMBER

Great weekend - thanks for organising. Deceptive UV strength on Saturday.

As you mentioned earwigs, I seem to have had quite a few as passengers on the way back after roughly bundling the tent in the back.

• SITE MODERATOR
1 hour ago, GreyDJ2 said:

Hi all, apart from earwigs, does anyone have any feedback, good or bad?

Thanks for the excellent turnout.

Covid didn't help things, like the bar, toilets, showeres etc but I think it was a good effort in all.

The swarm of earwigs was rubbish, but a small pain.  I think for the cost, better trailered toilets would be included as per the showers (which were pretty good).

• CLUB ADMIN
5 hours ago, Paul said:

the legacy of the earwigs continues, three fell out when i emptied my bag this morning

Three..... you were lucky! The floor of my extension is a massacre!! Will take some pics, although not as horrifying as them all falling out like something from the mummy! 

For me @GreyDJ2:

1. Raffle: that while I know the raffle and arena are designed to keep people there on a Sunday, generationally it's a bit of a hard sell - particularly the raffle tickets. Perhaps it's time they considered going a bit bigger ticket (ha!) and getting a single or couple of really valuable item which entice many more people to buy tickets, so the tickets could be sold for more money... not £1 for a ticket and you might win a pair of pliers, or some beer... I know they had £100 voucher for online shopping and £50 for the car parts store that sponsored the event that wasn't bad - But tbh, I think it's kind of run it's course and could be replaced with another activity that is more agnostic to Sunday. It was funny looking at all the dead stands on Saturday for the old stuff that were full on Sunday to the brim, while newer stuff it was the opposite way around (if 40 years is newer, as we are included!) not sure what the answer is. Maybe we are not yet approaching the "funniest ticktok video about your Vauxhall", but I think steps should be taken to engage younger generations with something going on - there is a big gulf between bouncy castles and raffles. 

2. Allow private individuals to have autojumble stands again. Something (even beyond covid) has clearly happened and we only see companies with very old or very new parts, with very little from the 80s and there must be loads in people's garages that they'd bring if there wasn't so much red tape (assuming there is any!)

3. It says a lot when mobile showers are better than brick built ones at billing ever were - they were fine when they were working. I'd have expected more of them though given covid and wet grass, but they did a great job with cleaning them.

5. Don't let the calls for spreading out of toilets next year mean there are less of them, or that they and more poorly cleaned (like market Harborough). Having them in once place does create an economy of scale - even if it might have got some complaints this year, at least they were cleaned more than previously any event previously...

7. I know it's a push, but maybe they could sell tickets to a "meal" / event in the hangars or museum? Like a talk from behind the scenes or some old war stories or something. Or music etc. once things get back to normal! 

They did an amazing job organising it. Everything else is just niggles. I hope they stay there for the event setting, but I do wonder why we got so many bugs compared to previously when there were none! 

11 hours ago, andy said:

Gutted for all involved! At least there is next year. Let me know if you need any help getting it up the road after Paul has looked after it. Be good to find time for a proper catch up. Sorry we didn't get time to chat longer on Sunday!

Just old cars, more of a pain for Keir and Steffi. Being looked at tomorrow and hopefully sorted quickly. Looks like road trip to somerset to pick it up and maybe catch up if you are working on Zuk.

i thought the venue was good and amazed how clean the toilets were at 3pm on the sunday!

There could be a few more signs on the roads in as nearly drove in the wrong way.

• CLUB REP
1 hour ago, andy said:

1. Raffle:

2. Allow private individuals to have autojumble stands again.

3. It says a lot when mobile showers are better than brick built ones at billing ever were

5. Don't let the calls for spreading out of toilets next year mean there are less of them, or that they and more poorly cleaned (like market Harborough). Having them in once place does create an economy of scale

7. I know it's a push, but maybe they could sell tickets to a "meal" / event in the hangars or museum? Like a talk from behind the scenes or some old war stories or something. Or music etc. once things get back to normal! 

I do wonder why we got so many bugs compared to previously when there were none! 

1. I agree with the raffle comments. It needs to be discussed at VBOA

2. That was the plan, a bit like the Winter parts day, but Covid got in the way. Also a bit of a problem in that you are trapped with your parts.

3. A great result.

5. Toilets were only clustered together due to Covid queuing, not too bad for us but a hell of a walk from the ends of the show. It will change next year.

7. There was food/live bands scheduled in for Friday and Saturday nights, like the last year, that had to be cancelled, so expect them back next year.

It is likely that the earwig mating swarms were due to the wet/mild climatic conditions, bit like the synchronised flying ant swarms. As you say we haven't seen them before but I bet there will be some mosquito nets around next year just in case.

Just to add, I was worried about the porta loo set up, having 2 young girls, knowing how quick they get trashed, but was surprised how well they held out!! Not a moan from my two.

Probably a good idea to add taps to the map, it wasn't obvious where to get water.

Would have loved a live band - hopefully next year.

We thought they did a good job overall under the circumstances, just glad it wasn't cancelled!!

Thanks again for the great company and welcoming, roll on next year 👍