New Member, New Cav Owner, Long-Term Monza Owner!

Minty Muller

Hello Everyone,

My names Guy, but everyone knows me as Minty…I’m new to the group and have today, just bought the Parchment Beige, Mk2 1600 L Estate I believe a few of you have seen advertised…

I’ve not had a Cavalier since well-back in the day…my last one was a ‘92 K-Reg 1.7 GLS Mk3 hatch, in Satin Red back in about ‘96…my last Mk2 was an ‘83 1.8SRi hatch in White & Anthracite in about ‘92, with an X-Reg 1600 GL Saloon in Terracotta before that!

I’m a long-term Monza owner though, having owned an Anthracite GSE since 2nd-January 1990! (I have owned seventeen others over the years and also have a lovely ’79 Series-1 Monza 3.0E ‘S’ 5-Sp and was Co-Founder & Ex-Vice-Chairman (& later Chairman) of the Royale Monza Owners Club.

Ask me about Monza’s or Royale’s, I’ll probably know the answer…Ask me about Mk2 Cavaliers etc, I know very little, hence joining you knowledgeable peeps here!

I’m sure i’ll have plenty of questions for you all!! 😵💫🤪😆

Regards to all…

Guy. (Minty)

• Like 2

• SITE MODERATOR

Welcome Guy @Minty Muller, good to hear of a deep seated GM fetish lol.  Its nice to see the forums starting to wake up again and new members too which is great.

The estate looks class......survived well it looks like.  Fire across the questions, plenty of knowledge on here already.  

Current mk2 stock: 4 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, Richies Saabilier & monaro VXR

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV daily (joyous planet saver.....well carbon offset for the ro)

6 minutes ago, Greg said:

Welcome Guy @Minty Muller, good to hear of a deep seated GM fetish lol.  Its nice to see the forums starting to wake up again and new members too which is great.

The estate looks class......survived well it looks like.  Fire across the questions, plenty of knowledge on here already.  

Thanks for the welcome Greg - it’s very much appreciated sir!

There are two things I’m going to be after for mine - it’s currently a 4sp and I’d like to fit a 5sp instead…I’ll need a gearbox etc to suit…

Also, I’d like a brown centre-consol for it…it hasn’t got anything at the moment and a proper consol would be useful and look good, if anybody has one?

Guy.

22 minutes ago, mark - back on the road said:

Hello Mark & thanks for the welcome!

I’ve seen the parts that make-up the console, but being very inexperienced Mk2-wise, I’m not sure how much of it I need?

I’ve seen the NOS aftermarket console too, but would prefer the real-thing really - maybe someone on here could advise me which bits of the GM console I need??? 🤔

Regards,

Guy. 🙂

8 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said:

Welcome. You're not far from me, I'm just outside Newport Pagnell.

Re you seat belt question. Anyone know if normal hatch belts fit?

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, Newport Pagnell is only about 30-mins away…I’ll have to pop over and say hello! 🙂

Re: Seatbelts - Going on Monza experience, I’d expect that hatch belts would fit fine…I’d expect they fit the same as Monza belts do - ie: mounted vertically, behind the seat backs with fabric belt buckles/ clasps that bolt under the rear-seat base and poke up from underneath/ behind?

Best Wishes,

Guy. 

15 hours ago, Minty Muller said:

Another thing I desperately need, is a pair of retractable rear seatbelts - I have identical-twin boys and don’t want them to go in the car, before it has some rear-seatbelts…

Are they out of kiddie seats? My mk2 cav rear belts didnt go around the younger seats, and fitted in the front my daughter jumped out of her skin every time the wipers went...

48 minutes ago, vxcalibre said:

Are they out of kiddie seats? My mk2 cav rear belts didnt go around the younger seats, and fitted in the front my daughter jumped out of her skin every time the wipers went...

Yes mate, their using normal adult belts, so no worries! 👍

E9AA18F7-4909-4F59-805C-85CE66FB8B1F.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Minty Muller said:

Hello Mark & thanks for the welcome!

I’ve seen the parts that make-up the console, but being very inexperienced Mk2-wise, I’m not sure how much of it I need?

I’ve seen the NOS aftermarket console too, but would prefer the real-thing really - maybe someone on here could advise me which bits of the GM console I need??? 🤔

Regards,

Guy. 🙂

Well, how stupid do I feel now!…

Just been looking at some photos I took of the interior and guess what?…it has got the centre-console…it’s just missing the gear-lever rubber gaiter!

Silly how we miss things!

BF57D642-24C6-4A62-96F5-C76DD1E796DA.jpeg

2B837DA4-CC27-4944-8167-D34C302D9397.jpeg

46 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said:

This is the mounting point in a hatch, is it like yours?

IMG_2008.JPG

I’ve not got the car at home yet, so can’t look - I’m collecting it shortly…

I believe the Estate has them mounted vertically on the C-Pillar, not angled as above…I don’t think it’ll make much difference though - I presume the mounting angle is there as a ‘comfort nod’ due to the belts positioning and angle of the hatch rear seat?

If the belts are as per the Monza/ Carlton etc, their just a standard vertical-mount belt with a slight angle-compensation ability built in, so I’m sure they’d fit fine! 🤔👍🙂

Welcome to the site, that estate looks a good one and very practical  for a family man. They were the favourite of decorators and window cleaners some years back when they were cheap as chips. a  mate of mine had several  at different times as a self employed decorator over the years and just ran them as a working car  until they failed the mot or broke down. If i remember i don,t think he ever paid more than £400 ( those were the days ) and never even serviced them although i once did a cam belt, oil and filter etc change for him on on particular nice one. Hope you manage to find a gear lever gaiter i have seen new old stock ones fetching over 80 plus quid on the bay. 

18 minutes ago, neilsri130 said:

Welcome to the site, that estate looks a good one and very practical  for a family man. They were the favourite of decorators and window cleaners some years back when they were cheap as chips. a  mate of mine had several  at different times as a self employed decorator over the years and just ran them as a working car  until they failed the mot or broke down. If i remember i don,t think he ever paid more than £400 ( those were the days ) and never even serviced them although i once did a cam belt, oil and filter etc change for him on on particular nice one. Hope you manage to find a gear lever gaiter i have seen new old stock ones fetching over 80 plus quid on the bay. 

Cheers Neil and thanks for the welcome!

One reason we wanted the Cav Estate was that it’s big enough for my boys BMX’s to fit in easily - they have proper ‘80s Raleigh Burners and I still have my Raleigh Bomber I had new as a kid - we’re looking forward to taking them to car shows etc! 👅

Guy.

Edited by Minty Muller
Added info.

• 3 months later...

Hello all - progress update time…👍

Well, the Estate has all been stripped, all the rusty-bits cut out (very few actually) and all the welding’s been done…

She went in to have both her sides and tailgate painted, but leaving the original roof & bonnet…and this is where we hit a major snag - it was all suitably masked-up and painted, only to find that the ‘Parchment’ paint ordered and applied, didn’t dry Parchment, but more like a pale Jamaica Yellow!!!

Now, at this point I had to make an executive decision - do it all over again, or do it all over…So she’s now yellow!!!

I’ve now decided to have a bit of tasteful fun and do a few retro 80’s mods, using the 20-minute rule…ie: return each change to standard in 20-minutes…

My boys & I decided to fully embrace the Cool, ‘slightly boy’ed-up’ Dads Car from the mid-late 80’s look…

Not the best photos inside the workshop, but here’s the result…I hope it’s OK - AndyF is driving her down to Cornwall & back in a couple of weeks! 🤪

I’ve still got some new chrome trim to fit into the bumpers etc, she’s had a 5sp-box fitted and a newly leather-wrapped early SRi Steering Wheel & Rev-Counter Clocks added, along with some discreet ‘S’ badges like my Series-1 Monza…

Over to you! 🤪

63A11853-0256-48DD-995D-5C8F94635F5D.png

E71E7F0A-4F57-4EFC-9B5C-A392CD946A2C.png

E749135C-91D8-4EF6-9D34-78622FB52346.png

328A582B-5E75-48B5-BAA4-7107B1AC675B.png

67E58B59-077F-4C96-B128-B315C5ACD123.jpeg